From the parrot's beak: 11'5 edition
- To the Rescue: The number of parrots given up to rescues is at an all time high. Or is it? Sparking heated debate on social media is a four year old online article that has resurfaced claiming that it is. One American Federation for Aviculture member says, "The people who are against parrot ownership love to pull numbers out of thin air." Another bird owner takes issue with the terminology, stating, "Rescue means they are coming from an awful situation where their lives were at stake - most birds are owner surrendered." Surrenders often occur when the novelty of parrot ownership wears off and the realities of noise, mess and care requirements set in. While "all time high" levels may have eased somewhat as public awareness has increased and it gets more difficult to purchase parrots at a retail level, the number is still unacceptably high.
- Pollytics '16: Which candidate would get that all important parrot vote? There's scant information about the candidate's views pertaining to parrots, let alone if any of them ever owned a pet bird. Hillary Clinton's website says she plans to "promote animal welfare and protect animals from cruelty and abuse." She has received a perfect score from the Humane Society's Legislative Fund and in a 2007 press release for the HSLF, said, "Our policies should reflect the important role that animals play in our lives and our environment." Clinton is pet parent to three dogs and in her former White House years; Socks the cat and Buddy the dog. Running mate Tim Kaine is lauded by the Richmond, VA SPCA for being a supporter and "a compassionate and unpretentious friend to animals". Kaine's family adopted a terrier mix named Gina from the facility. To be fair, minus a public legislative record; Donald Trump's pet stance is harder to pin down. He does reportedly own a Labrador named Spinee. Trump's choice of running mate may raise some eyebrows as Mile Pence was given a 0 percent approval rating by the 2012 HSLF for taking stances against the Emotional Support Animals vote (which does include some parrots) and the Hunting in National Parks vote.
- Thanks for Sharing: A pet parrot in Kuwait chattered sweet nothings a husband had never said to his wife — confirming her suspicion that he’d been cheating, according to the Arab Times online. Adultery being illegal in that country, the wife presented the stool pigeon parrot to the police as evidence. Hookbill notwithstanding, the alleged perp got off the hook as police said the parrot’s statement wouldn’t hold up in court. Similarly, in 2006, a parrot named Ziggy revealed to his owner, Chris Taylor, that his girlfriend, Suzy Collins, had been unfaithful.“I love you, Gary!” the bird squawked — revealing the name of her lover. No word on the outcome on that one.
- She's a Pepper(berg): Alex was an avian superstore, but even after that African grey parrot's untimely passing in 2007, Dr. Irene Pepperberg's work continues. Alex was very adept at naming objects and describing their color, shape and even numbers up to 6. Now Pepperberg is experimenting with Griffin the African grey to see if he recognizes 2D, or drawn objects; and is reporting a remarkable degree of success.
- "Hollywood Hookbills": What DVDs should every parrot lover include in their collection? See "this editor's Page 8 feature story in November's The Pet Gazette
- Never mind that, what are YOU doing?: Came home yesterday to discover my Quaker was not in her cage. As I have to lock all her doors cuz she's an escape artist. I hunted forever, calling her, looking high and low. Finally I hear " What are you doing?" She was in the cage with my half moon..ugh!! She's a punk!!!- From a Facebook post
- American Hoarder Story: It's become virtually a weekly story - just change the place and the numbers around a bit. This time 150 birds were among 180 animals were removed from a house with deploreably filthy conditions in Brookline, PA.
- Quote o' the week: Mommy is making a phone call. Get ready to scream.
- Hot Dates: 11/5-6: New Jersey Family Pet Show - Garden State Expo Center, 50 Atrium Drive, Somerset, NJ - Sat 10-7 -- Southeastern Massachusetts Canary Club 36th Annual Show - Liberal Club, 20 Star St., Fall River, MA - Sat 10-5, Sun 8-11:30 -- Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair - Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA - Sat 9-4, Sun 9-4 -- National Animal Interest Alliance (NAIA) 2016 National Conference - DoubleTree by Hilton, 10100 International Drive, Orlando, FL
11/5: Birds of a Feather 29th Annual Bird Show & Mart- All Dogs Gym, 505 Sheffield Road, Manchester, NH - 9-4 -- Parrot 101 class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC -- Laurie Hess, DVM: Q&A Phoenix Landing, Springfield, VA
11/6: Positive Reinforcement Training Phoenix Landing Rockville, MD -- TBD Phoenix Landing, Cary, NC -- Fun with Food class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
11/7: Fresno Bird Mart, Fresno big fair grounds, Fresno CA. 9-3. $5 to get in
11/8: Election Day: will Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo or King Crimson the conure make an impact?
11/11-13: American Federation of Ornithology 1st National C.O.M. Show - German American Social Club, 11919 SW 56th St., Miami, FL - open to public Sun 9-12 -- Step-Up Advanced Workshop, Phoenix Landing, Alexander, NC
11/12: Birdie Bash Speakers include Susan Chamberlain of 14 Karat Parrot on caring for your pet as you age- and after you're gone. Vendors, refreshments, live birds (nonmembers of Connecticut's The Parrot Club, please leave your birds at home.) Admission $5 (under 12 free) 10-4 Veterans Memorial Clubhouse Admission 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT -- Toy Making class. Parrot University.11 am, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC-- Parrot’s Point of View class, Phoenix Landing. Millersville, MD
11/13: Positive Reinforcement class. Parrot University. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
- Lost: Crimson bellied conure, female 'Ruby'. North Bellmore, NY. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org