From the parrot's beak: 1/17 edition
- Cockatoo saves human companions from fire: A cockatoo sounded the alarm before a Peel, Arkansas house burned to the ground. The couple inside escaped on time, along with their parrot pal. Volunteer firefighter Todd Boyers said, "There’s no trouble waking up to that alarm. We’ve all said that’s a hero bird.”
- Parrot poop could save the earth or at least help slow down global warming. Parrots and other fruit eating denizens of tropical rainforests disperse seeds via their droppings; getting new trees started. Forests sponge up 30% of the world's CO2 emissions as well as storing carbon in surrounding soil.
-A place called Hopi: Kachinas are ceremonial dancers representing assorted deities of the Hopi tribe of southwestern USA. Kachina dolls are given to Hopi children as a native American version of Sunday school. Some of the dolls are fashioned after parrots such as blue and gold macaws; known from trade with Indian nations to the south; and symbolizing fertility.
- Didja know: Swift parrots are seasonal migraters; moving from Tasmania to mainland Australia this time of year.
- Psittacine cinema: Parrot Festival Teaser
- Disco hits: Disco, the phenomenally talking Long Island budgie is featured at the very end of a BBC Radio program (or, perhaps more appropriately, "programme") "The Science Hour." Clips of his mimicry skills are used to illustrate new research on vocal learning,.
- Fun with ferals: Despite frigid temperatures, an Indian ringneck parrot's daily rounds include visiting an Arizona bird feeder along with a dove companion, according to the woman who owns the feeder. Feral ringnecks are fairly common in Great Britain, while in the United States hardy Quaker parrots have adapted even as far north as New York, New England and Chicago. At one time the thickbilled parrot's natural range extended northwards into Arizona and New Mexico.
- Suck it up: The macaws in one multi-parrot household were trained to "take care of business" one more time with the cue phrase "Go ahead" before newspapers were removed from their cages. One day, as the humans were breaking out the Shop-Vac in preparation for the task, Congo African grey Murphy chimed in with "Go ahead." While the humans progressed with their cleaning, Murphy called out "Is that better?"
- Parrotrivia: Cigar-smoking parrot, Jose Carioca appeared in the 1945 Disney flick, "The Three Caballeros" along with with Donald Duck and Panchito the rooster. Although Jose also appeared in the follow up "Saludos Amigos" featuring Donald and Goofy and was even honored as part of the official insignia of the USS Escambia a Navy refueling ship during WW II, the character faded into obscurity.
- Tip o' the week: A well placed "dusty " parrot (think cockatoo) shaking its feathers could cause a smoke alarm to go off, warns acclaimed animal behaviorist Barbara Heidenreich.
- Smugglers' blues: Argentinian police thwarted an attempt to smuggle 310 blue fronted Amazon parrots presumably for the pet trade. Two months ago, 1o red lored Amazon parrots were seiozed by Mexican authorities.
- Parrot joke: Karen’s dishwasher stopped working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work, she told him repairman she'd leave the key under the mat; and “By the way don’t worry about my bulldog Spike. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, not under any circumstances talk to my parrot." When the repairman arrived, he discovered the biggest, meanest looking bulldog he has ever seen. But, just as she had said, the dog lay there watching the repairman go about his work. The parrot, however, drove him nuts with his incessant yelling, cursing and name calling. Finally the repairman yelled, “Shut up, you stupid, ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”
- Jersey birds: Over 200 birds in Passaic NJ need to be homed in parrot rescues, foster homes or direct adoption.Volunteers are welcome please contact Agent Purcell at the Passaic NJSPCA.....(973) 296-4139
- Hot dates: All times EST unless otherwise specified.
1/16-17: Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair - Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA 9-4 both days.
1/16: Parrot University Volunteer Orientation. 1 pm. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC.
A parrot's point of view class. Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary offices, 4105 Rust Rd., Fairfax, VA.10-12. [Satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement].
1/17-18: Free flight weekend Location TBD -somewhere in Phoenix or possiablyYuma. Stay tuned. All are welcome, with or without birds.
1/17: Reiki session for birds and other pets at Healing Spirits Integrative Wellness Center. Free. Sessions last 20 minutes 11-4. 134 Newton Rd. Unit 11, Plaistow, NH.
1/21: Solutions for Parrot Behavior Problems Related to Hormones Barbara Heidenreich webinar 6-7:30.
Parrot 101 class. Parrot University. 2 pm. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
1/23: Why does my parrot DO that? Understanding Behavior – Observation is Key 1-3 MSPCA at Nevins Farm– Sat, Jan 400 Broadway, Methuen, MA.
Toy making class 11 am. Parrot University. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC,
No place like home class [satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement]. 10-12. The Landing, 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC.
Fun with food class Parrot University. 2 pm. 321 South Polk St, Pineville, NC.
- Stolen Buffon's macaws, Gilroy California. Reward offered. firstname.lastname@example.org -- Lost: African grey parrot 'Chelly' Mineola, NY. Reward offered. (917) 686-6742.