- Pets and Animals»
From the parrot's beak: 2/7 edition
- Ruby returns: The strange saga of Ruby the greenwing macaw has come to an end (for now). According to Ruby's owner, the bird was turned over to "the parrot whisperer", a bird behavioral specialist recommended by employees of Parrot Jungle to remedy behavioral issues. Ruby was allegedly given to another party who wouldn't answer her door and whose neighbors later claimed she no longer had any birds. Meanwhile, the "parrot whisperer" moved with Ruby from Florida to Utah, where she faces accusations of running a "Bird flipping" operation. After a year and 10 days, and a court order; Ruby is back with her original owner.
- Feeding fussy budgies: Getting your bird to eat a proper diet can be a challenge especially if the bird is accustomed to an all seed diet. Budgies (a.k.a. parakeets) are ground foragers. They especially enjoy pecking on the ground. Spread newspaper on the floor of the cage and remove the perches and seed cups. Do this in the morning when they are most hungry. Place dark leafy greens and vegetables on the newspaper. Sprinkle some millet through the greens to encourage them to dig through the veggies. They will be more inclined to taste the food if scattered on the ground with some of their favorite millet. From Georgetown Veterinary Hospital
- Psittacine cinema: Budweiser SuperBowl Commercial Parrots - YouTube -- Joe Krathwohl and friend at the Houston Parrot Festival https://www.facebook.com/cindy.c.jones.79/videos/10205907189738773/ Parrot birthday party http://www.urparrot.com/blog/parrot-news/they-gave-their-parrot-a-suprise-birthday-gift-his-reaction-priceless/ -- It's all in the Roll of the Dice https://www.facebook.com/ParrotHumor/videos/548095005367508/
- It don't come ESA: "Most of our concerns are on 25 states that are not safe to own an ESA animals. These states are actual more restrictive that the Federal regulations from the USFWS," says American Federation for Aviculture's Lew "Buddy" Waskey; referring to another angle of objection to Endangered Speices Act implications.
- Going postal: A blue & gold and a pair of smaller green parrots are among the critters depicted in the US Postal Service's new series of "pets" stamps.
- Parrotrivia: "The White Cockatoo" helps unravel a mystery in France involving murder, a plot to steal an inheritance and a false identity in a 1935 film.
- Pollytics '16: Donald Trump and daughter Ivanka pose atop a pair of concrete parrots in a photo widely circulating on social media.
- Quote o' the week: The most dangerous animal in the world is an unseen parrot being busy in silence.
- Hot dates: All times EST unless otherwise noted.
2/5-7: Super Pet Expo - NJ Convention & Exposition Center, 97 Sunfield Avenue, Edison, NJ 08837 - Fri 4-8, Sat 10-7, Sun 10- 5
2/6: Sex and the Single Bird class. 2 pm Parrot University. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
2/7: "Parrot Training Workshop" Portland, OR, USA Hosted by Synergy Behavior Solutions.
"Parrot Training Workshop" with Barbara Heidenreich Portland, OR, USA Hosted by Synergy Behavior Solutions.
2/12-15: The Great Backyard Bird Count Any feral parrots in your neighborhood?
2/13-20: Parrot Toy Angels Valentine Auction Parrot Toy Angels is an all-volunteer organization committed to providing toys, food and other avian supplies to companion birds in difficult situations. You can show your support and get some quality merchandise for your parrot by supporting this auction. Will be held on ebay. Direct link: http://stores.ebay.com/parrottoyangels
2/13-14: Atlanta’s Exotic Bird Fair - North Atlanta Trade Center, 1700 Jeurgens Court, Norcross, GA - Sat 9-5, Sun 10-4
2/13: Parrot 101 class. 2 pm Parrot Univ. Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
Feather picking: the naked truth class with Greg Costanzo, DVM. Phoenix Landing event. Grace Presbyterian Church, 7434 Bath Street. Springfield. VA
2/14: Happy Valentine's Day to lovebirds and all other parrots.