From the parrot's beak: 9/10 edition
- Polly Wanna Puddin' Pop?: A parrot's voice may be part of the evidence used against Bill Cosby in his upcoming legal battles. Cosby allegedly spoke on the phone with the mother of one of his accusers; and the former comedian suspected (correctly) that the conversation was being recorded. According to a court transcript, the conversation went like this. Cosby: “Do you have a beeping going on, on your phone?” Woman: “No, no, not at all, I have a parrot.” Cosby: “I know this is a beep.” Woman: “No, no I have a parrot. I mean I don’t have a, no I don’t have.” Cosby: “A parrot?” Woman: “No, if somebody tries to call me, you know, it will, it’ll just beep to let me know that somebody is calling, but no I don’t, no.” Judge Steven T. O’Neill asked to listen to the tape recording in court and was asked “Was it an electronic beep or was it a really good parrot?" "I don’t know whether it’s an electronic beep or a parrot,” O’Neill said, eliciting some giggles from spectators.
- Banned Near Boston (maybe): American Federation of Aviculture has long suspected that extreme animal rights activists are trying end pet ownership. A skirmish looms in Cambridge, MA; where this Sept. 15 city councilors will be debating a proposal to ban sales of all live animals except for rescue animals such as those kept at "approved" shelters. Pet store owners and others are concerned that if the bill passes; it may set in motion a "domino effect" in other cities.
- Parrotrivia: Jerry "Seinfeld" needs his cuff links - but they are locked in Kramer's strongbox and the key to the strongbox was hidden in Fredo the parrot's food dish. The problem is that the parrot is dead and buried having choked on the key. Jerry accuses Kramer of Fredo's death; to which, in a nod to "Godfather 2', Kramer exclaims that "Fredo was weak and stupid! He shouldn't've eaten that key!!". Kramer and Jerry go to the pet cemetery to exhume the key, Upon their return, George asks what's in the cooler (strongbox) as he opens it up.
- Plethora of Parakeets: The public perception of surrendered/unwanted pets usually focuses on dogs and cats, but there are lots of birds out there as well. Five parakeets in assorted colors are currently waiting for new homes at the Massachusetts Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA) facility in Centerville, MA. "They just came in one after another," says a staffer. At least one was surrendered by an owner who got too old to keep caring for her pet.
- Quote o' the week: Cockatoo: an emotionally unstable pint sized dictator with the uncanny ability to know exactly how far to push you toward utter insanity before reverting to a lovable cuddle monster. - Facebook meme
- Return of the Prodigal Parrot: Someone swiped Bonnie the Amazon parrot, cage and all; from the front porch of her Seagoville, TX home. However, the bird, reportedly 92 years old, was turned into the city's police department three days later. Bonnie's owner Kathy Gardner says, "I'm just thankful that they had it in their heart to do that because she's old and she don't know nobody else but us."
- Reading their Palms: "Large number of blue-throated macaws [are] foraging on totai palm (Acrocomia aculeata) at Barba Azul Nature Reserve," according to website.. Dutch students from the Wageningen University are studying the effect of resource availability on the the endemic and critically endangered macaw.
- Hot Dates: 9/10: Connecticut Pet Expo - Webster Bank Arena, 600 Main St., Bridgeport, CT - 10-6 -- NY Finch & Type Canary Club Annual Show - St. Jude’s Church, 1696 Canarsie Road, Brooklyn, NY - 10-5-- Sid Price, Avian Ambassadors, The Accidental Trainer, Springfield, VA Contact Phoenix Landing for details.--Fun with Food class.1 pm Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk
9/11: Parrot 101 class. 2 pm. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk --A Parrot's Point of View class. Cary, NC.Contact Phoenix Landing for details.
9/13: "Beyond the Scope: The Social and Emotional Lives of Captive Parrots" author and former Humane Education Director for Foster Parrots Michelle Parrett,is guest speaker at The Parrot Club monthly meeting.Veteran's Memorial Clubhouse. 6:30 (socail), 7 pm meeting
100 Sunset Ridge Road, East Hartford, CT. And yes, as far as we know that's her real name.
9/15: Cambridge MA city council hearing on a potential ban on the sales of live animals in pet shops. See story above.
9/17-18: New England Pet Expo-Aleppo Shriners Auditorium, 99 Fordham Road, Wilmington, MA -Sat 10-6, Sun 11-4 -- Long Island Pet Expo in the Park-Tanner Park, 123 Kerrigan Rd, Copiague, NY 11726 -11-6 both days
9/17: Foster Parrots and New England Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary Fall Fundraiser-- Open house sanctuary tours, live music with the Adam Ezra band, champagne welcome and open beer & wine bar,raffle, silent auction, non-profit and vendor displays,vegetarian buffet dinner. !Hope Valley, RI 02832 -12-6:30 -- Parrot University volunteer orientation. 2 pm.321 South Polk St, Pineville NC--A Parrot's Point of View Phoenix Landing class. 10-12. The Landing. 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC.
9/18: Positive Reinforcement Parrot University class. 2 pm.321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
. 9/21: Long Island Parrot Society Tupperware fundraiser. Free for members; $10 for nonmembers. 6 pm. American Legion Post, 22 Grove Place, Babylon, NY
- Found: Sun conure. Baltimore, MD. For info, contact Home is Where the Heart is Parrot Rescue.-- Lost: Quaker parrot 'Bodhi' Ashford, CT. (561) 305-8498 -- Sighted: Blue parakeet 84th drive near playground at Burden crescent,Queens, NY..-- Sighted: yellow with a little lime green male parakeet on the corner of Reservoir Avenue and Jefferson Avenue, Northpor, NY. -- Lost:.African grey 'JJ'...lSelden, NY (631) 312-0708 -- Lost: Quaker 'Yoshi' Elmont, NY (718) 570-1869 -- Lost Green Quaker in Babylon Village, NY (631) 495-8917