From the parrot's beak: 9/18 edition
- Cambridge Council Flips the Bird to Pet Shops: A ban on the sales of live animals is apparently headed for passage in Cambridge, MA. Although its original intent taps into growing public opposition to "puppy mills"; all animals are effected except fish and animals from "approved" rescue operations. Linda Rubin, Legislative Director the Society for Parrot Breeders and Exhibitors, spoke against the measure and expressed frustration that more pet owning interests didn't do the same, saying "The new math. NO SHOWING UP = NO SUPPORT = LEGISLATION PASSES." It did seem like a David vs. Goliath battle as the pro-measure forces; including Humane Society of the United States and Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals gave a 45 minute power point presentation\; while opponents were only allowed 5 minutes speaking time each. Joining the opposition with Ms. Rubin were two other members of SPBE a spokesperson from the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council and a woman who operates a reptile sanctuary. A common theme expressed by those opposed is that the "animal rights" activists have an agenda including a ban on all ownership of pets. Ms. Rubin hints, "There is more to this, but at this time it will pass in a form that is being worked on. Stay tuned ... " By way of odd coincidence, city councilors in another Cambridge (Ontario, Canada) recently voted to ban all sales of live animals from pet stores.
- House oi Hoarders: Parrots, parakeets and finches were among hundreds of animals including several reptiles confiscated from a house in Weston,CT. Many were dead or in poor condition, and they are believed to have come fro the house owner's out of business pet shop. -- 60 parakeets, 53 dogs and 6 donkeys were confiscated from a Libby, MT kennel after the owner was charged with several misdemeanor and felony charges of cruelty to animals. -- Meanwhile, the Rhode Island Parrot Rescue, located in Warwick, is in desperate need of towels, sheets, paper towels, parrot food (specifically for lorikeets), small and medium cages, and a pop up tent that can be heated after the rescue of over 150 birds from a Connecticut situation,
- Parrotrivia: "Star Trek: The Next Generation"'s Data views a computer screen, revealing an image resembling a parrot. It could be the symbol of an alein world; or a newly discovered extraterrestrial creature.Another "TNG" episode flashes an image of Gene Roddenberry's head on a parrot's body on a perch wearing a Starfleet uniform, Some Trekkies fondly refer to the "Star Trek" creator as "The Great Bird Of The Galaxy."
- Psittacine Cinema: Our parrot, Gabriel, dances to Star Trek Voyager - YouTube
- Of Gravel Concern: You can bypass that box of "parakeet gravel" you see in the supermarket pet section. Neither parakeets nor larger parrots need the sand-like substance.because they shell their seeds before eating them. In fact, consuming gravel can be harmful as it can potentially impact the crop. Birds that eat their seeds whole, like pigeons and finches, are a different story - they need the grit to aid in digestion. Sandpaper perches are not recommended either, as they can cause scratching and other foot problems.
- Shagadelic: The population of New Zealand's oddball "owl parrot", the kakapo, has been given a major boost with the addition of 33 newly hatched chicks. The species is incredibly rare – it's estimated that just 125 adults exist in the wild, not great but beter than the estimated 18 individuals known nof in the '70s.
- Congratulations to the Connecticut Parrot Society on their recent 10th anniversary. Helping to celebrate was speaker Robin Shewokis, founder of Leather Elves parrot supply.
- Long Island Parrot Society's annual Expo, scheduled for Oct. 1, will feature Lara Joseph of the Animal Behavior Center and Kathy LaFollett of "Flock Call". This year's theme is "Focus on Behavior." The LIPS Expo is one of the largest annual parrot events on the East Coast.
- Bite Me: Kermit, an abused green cheek conure of unknown age, has an attitude. He was on his owner's shoulder and nipping. So the owner asked him why. He turned and said, "I don't know" and did it again.
- But Berlin is in Germany: A vintage poster for Irving Berlin's "I'll See You in Cuba" features a green and a red parrot.
- Black Letter Day: A rare Tasmanian black cockatoo has hatched for the first time in Europe. Loro Parque Fundacion has also successfully bred Poicephalus robustus and many lory and lorikeet species.
- Quote o' the Week: Looking after parrots is like a walk in the -p;ark. You know.... like Jurassic Park. - Facebook meme..
- HIt 'em with your Best Shots: In advance of its annual Parrot Palooza, held this year between 10/7 & 10/10, Bird Paradise is throwing a parrot photo contes. Deadline is Oct.1. Go to Bird Paradiose website or Facebook page for details.
- Hot Dates: 9/17-18: New England Pet Expo-Aleppo Shriners Auditorium, 99 Fordham Road, Wilmington, MA -Sat 10-6, Sun 11-4 -- Long Island Pet Expo in the Park-Tanner Park, 123 Kerrigan Rd, Copiague, NY -11-6 both days
9/17: Foster Parrots and New England Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary Fall Fundraiser-- Open house sanctuary tours, live music with the Adam Ezra band, champagne welcome and open beer & wine bar,raffle, silent auction, non-profit and vendor displays,vegetarian buffet dinner. !Hope Valley, RI 02832 -12-6:30 -- Parrot University volunteer orientation. 2 pm.321 South Polk St, Pineville NC--A Parrot's Point of View Phoenix Landing class. 10-12. The Landing. 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC.
9/18: Positive Reinforcement Parrot University class. 2 pm.321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
9/20-24: EAZA Conference Belfast, Ireland. Barbara Heidenreich participates in conference and Animal Training Working Group and the Parrot Taxon Advisory Group.
9/21: Long Island Parrot Society Tupperware fundraiser. Free for members; $10 for nonmembers. 6 pm. American Legion Post, 22 Grove Place, Babylon, NY
9/24 -25: Virginia Beach Pet Expo-Virginia Beach Convention Center, 1000 19th St., Virginia Beach, VA -Sat 10-6, Sun 11-4 -- East Penn Budgie Club Show-Blakeslee Community Center, 5669 PA-115, Blakeslee, PA -Sat 9-4, Sun 9-3
9/24: Greater Charlotte Cage Bird Society Fall Bird Expo NC Army National Guard, 300 Sixth Street, Belmont, NC -- Pet Pride Parade. Palm Springs, Ca 8-12. Tailgate party, awards ceremony, celebrity appearances, exhibitors and music. Awards will be given for the best costumes for both pets and owners. -- Toy Making Class, Parrot University, 11 a,m. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC -- Avian Health and Medicine Class, 2 p.m. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
9/25: Erie Cage Bird Club Annual Bird Auction-New Perry Highway Hose Company, 8281 Oliver Road, Erie, PA 16509 -10-4 -- Did You Know? A Gathering of Parrot Care Information, 10=12, Stahl Exotic Veterinary Services, 4105 Rust Rd., Fairfax, VA -- Rainforest Exotic Bird Mart. Door prize. Adults $4; under 12 FREE. 9-4. National Guard Armory, 9900 Normandy Blvd. Jacksonville, FL -- Sex & the Single Bird Class, 2 p.m. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
- Lost: Mini macaw 'Bebe' Vernon Hills, IL. (847) 702-9820 -- Found: parakeet in Lindenhurst, NY ((631) 957 1100.