From the parrot's beak: Columbus Day edition
- Bangladesh requires annual licences for pet birds in a new move sure to set off alarm bells among the international pet bird keeping community.The “Pet Bird management guidelines 2015" stipulates a year in prison and a stiff fine for failure to keep a pet bird licensed.
- Columbus Day tie in: There is some speculation that Columbus may have been led to the New World in the last few days by following some parrots. Speaking about the native Arawak natives he first encountered, the now controversial explorer said, "'They ... brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks' bells."
- Psittacine cinema: Knock, knock. Dr. Who's there? No, it's Disco! http://youtu.be/-0XffI_ci0g
- Permit me: ESA and/or CITES listed birds can be transported across state lines without a permit provided there is no buying or selling, and the species is not prohibited in either state. You cannot buy, sell, or trade them with anyone who is not a resident of your same state. When commerce is involved: a person registered with Fish & Wildlife Services may obtain a permit to buy and sell within the US live, non-native endangered or threatened animals that were captive born in the United States for species propagation, provided the other person in the transaction is registered for the same species. A separate permit is needed to import or export (interstate and/or foreign) such species. American Federation of Aviculture objects to these requirements as onerous and argues such guidelines are counterproductive; restricting the breeding of endangered birds.
- Pollytics '16: Democratic contender Sen. Bernie Sanders was recently photographed with a scarlet macaw on his arm.
- Halloween's for hookbills, too: It's that time of year when even pets can be dressed up in costume for assorted Halloween contests, although many organizers seem to be determined to gear them towards dogs and maybe a cat or two. One local Pet Supplies Plus outlet is offering a $20 gift card for "the best Halloween picture of your 'furry' friend."
- Bring your bird to church day: Oct. 4 was St. Francis day To honor the animal loving saint, many churches hold Blessing of the Animals events. That's why you may have seen dogs or even a bird or two at church recently. Since it falls on a weekday this year, most churches hold their BOA on a weekend- so there may still be a few of them around this weekend. Pope Francis took his name after the saint.
- Missy no longer missing, but Snoop Dogg still is. The two African greys were stolen late in September in Berwick Hills, England. The birds are easily identified by their loves of saying such phrases as "Giz a tickle,” "Give us a big fat kiss” and "hello fat girl.” They also sing along to the BBC’s Match of the Day soccer program as well as to Laurel and Hardy. the female has been recovered. Those with information should call PC Hampson by dialing 101.
- Bird crime baddy busted: Illegally imported parrots from Uzbekistan were detained at Koltsovo airport on Friday, October 2. The passenger tried to smuggle seven birds in hand luggage without the necessary permits. The birds were returned to Uzbekistan.
- All of those parrotheads covered in oil: It's not exactly a tropical paradise, but Minnesota's Mall of America is scheduled to host the latest addition to a chain of Jimmy Buffett "Margaritaville" dining/entertainment facilities and, as with the other locations, parrot imagery is likely to figure largely onto the theme decor.
- 89 year old man gets his first tattoo - his parrot who died after 57 years together.
- Code scarlet: A news set of medical codes was instituted on Oct. 1; including one for "bitten by a macaw". Even if just the "bitten by"'s (cockatoo, Amazon, parakeet) etc. are added, this must be one lengthy list.
- When you're hot, you're hot: We may be bracing for cold weather in the USA, but an Aussie FB friend reminds me that it's the opposite in Australia, where the hot weather approaches. She recommends Oz residents to leave water outside for that country's wild birds which include cockatoos and parrots.
- Hot Dates: Our new and improved format, thanks to the suggestion of longtime friend of the column Jonathan V.:
12th Annual Parrot Palooza -Bird Paradise, 551 E. Rt. 130 South, Burlington, NJ - Fri 9-9, Sat 9-9, Sun 9-5, Mon 9-9
New England Cockatiel Breeders and exhibitors fall show 2 Cockatiel & 2 Parrot Shows on Sat. Dinner Saturday Night 2 Cockatiel & 2 Parrot Shows on Sun. 8-5. Am Legion 662 West Shore Rd. Warwick, RI -- Suncoast Canary & Finch Club Annual Bird Show - Charlotte County Event & Conference Center, 75 Taylor St., Punta Gorda, FL - Sat 1-6 pm, Sun 8-4
Bingo for Birds to benefit Lazicki Bird House and Rescue, Win a 46" TV! 2-7. The Alibi Cafe. 18 Bassett St. Providence, RI. -- International Canary and Finch Society 21st Annual Show - Pvt. Leonard Post, Jr. VFW #6251, 2450 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga, NY - 9-3 -- Rhode Island Budgerigar Society 60th Annual Show - Howard Rogers Post #25, McCallum Ave., Pawtucket, - 1-4 --Clicker Training in 6 Easy Steps class. 10-12 Anne Arundel Animal Control Facility, 411 Maxwell Frye Rd. Millersville, MD -- Canary and Finch Society 20th Annual Show 15700 John F. Kennedy Boulevard Houston, TX
Catskill Exotic Bird Club 23rd Annual Pet Bird Show - Liberty Firehouse, 256 Sprague Ave., Liberty, NY - 10-4 -- Avian Health and Medicine class. Parrot University.
Parrot-ghetti NIte to benefit Under My Wing parrot rescue; also Antl;er Ridge Wildlife Refuge and Elks National foundation. Featuring speaker Concetta Ferragamo (she's really getting around lately!) Food, auction, vendors, prizes. 6-10. Elks Lodge, 152 County Rd. Wantage, NJ for ticket info call (973) 702-7770.-- Baltimore Bird Fanciers 75th Annual Bird Show & Mart - Baltimore Travel Plaza, 5625 O'Donnell St, Baltimore, MD - 9 -4 - 410-666-8116 - Massachusetts Cage Bird Association Bird Mart - Elks Lodge, 40 Old Ferry Road, Lowell, MA - 9-3 -- Bird Mart Cleburne Conference Center 1501 W. Henderson Cleburne,Texas -- Parrot 101 class, 2 p.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC - No Place Like Home class. 10-12.[also satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement].31 Landing Pl., Alexander, NC
Positive Reinforcement class. 2 p.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC -- Behavior Workshop. Every problem has a solution. 10-12. Midway Veeterinary Hospital 1646 S. Military Hwy.
- Lost: Small mustache parakeet 'Zorro' Henderson, NV ☎ (607) 382-2350 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org -- Stolen: Yellow naped Amazon one other parrot. 'Mambo' and 'Chico', Norwalk, CA. They both yell "Mark" when they are hungry or scared. Reward offered (562) 404-6201. -- Lost: Female eclectus 'Dominicca' therapy bird, Miami Gardens FL (414) 217-8080 -- Sighted: Plum-headed parakee at a feeder at Ingleside Middle School, Osborn, AZ. Reported to The Oasis Sanctuary (480) 946-4955. -- Sighted: Indian Ringneck (?) Hermosa Beach, CA Email: Pjluvgreys@earthlink.ne.