- Pets and Animals»
From the parrot's beak: July 17 edition
- Spix Fix in the Mix: After the recent first sighting of a (possibly wild) Spix's in years, there's even more good news for the endangered Spix macaw. Last week, the Brazil government signed a contract that will direct and implement the final stages of the Spix's macaw de-extinction project and hopefully lead to re-establishing Spix's in the wild.
- Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot.: They may originally be from tropical climes, but excessive heat can pose an excessive danger to parrots. Every summer, the controversial subject of leaving dogs in hot cars comes up- with some arguing that it's must cause to break a car's windows. A parrot can roast like a chicken in a parked, unattended car as well. Shade, cool water and circulation are essential in the home. If you have no a/c and the temperature in the house reaches 85 F or more, a fan will help.A shady place out of direct sunshine is a must for outdoor aviary birds.
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Pewe, the first wild-hatched great green macaw chick from parents that The Ara Project had previously released to the wild has fledged, rasing hopes for the species' survival in Costa Rica. Ara also reports the successful breeding effort of a pair of released scarlet macaws, with he hatching of a chick named Rose. Sadly, Rose was nabbed by poachers.
- Parrots Helping Parrots: Two new nest boxes for wild blue throated macaws have been provided for The Bird Endowment's Nido Adoptivo program thanks to the efforts of the Bird Training and Enrichment at Southwick's Zoo in Mendon, MA. Zoo spokespeople give much of the credit to their colorful bird show stars, sun conures Polly and Piper, saying, "Though they are sometimes full of shenanigans, they have done a wonderful job serving as ambassadors for the restoration of their critically endangered wild friends!"
- Now the Bad News: The August 1 deadline looms for the desperate search for homes for 600 parrots and cockatoos following the closing of the World Parrot Refuge in Coombs,. Canada.
- House of Hoarders; More than 200 birds, including several species of parrots; were rescued for "deplorable conditions" from the home of an Atlanta cardiolist last week. Ironically, last week's "parrot's beak" column covered another hoarding case, with the jnote that this has become a near weekly story, with only a few details and circumstances to be changed.
- Florida ferals: Yellow-chevroned parakeets, white winged parakeets, lilac crowned parakeets, orange-winged amazons and quaker parrots are among the established ferals in Florida that a Long Island Parrot Society member reports observing.
- Psittacine cinema: Office Time with Einstein the Talking Texan Parrot - YouTube -- Parrot using sign language: Marlene Hodge - YouTube
- Quote o' the Week: I don't always talk about birds. Sometimes I'm asleep. - Facebook meme
- Hot dates: 7/16-17: Richmond Pet Expo. Greater Richmond Convention Center, 403 N 3rd St, Richmond, VA - Sat 10-6, Sun 11-4
7/16: Smoky Mt. Cage Bird Society Feathered Festival Bird Mart. 10-5. Hickory Metro Convention Center 1960-A 13th Avenue Drive, SE -- Parrot University Volunteer Orientation. 1 pm. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC -- Did You Know? A Gathering of Parrot Care Information class. Satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption requirement. 10-13. The landing, 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC -- Advanced Concepts in Animal Training and Their Practical Application, Your Computer webinar. 12:00 – 1:30 PM CST -- Building a Positive Relationship with your Parrot class. 10-12. Midway Veterinary Hospital, 1646 S. Military Hwy, Chesapeake, Va.
7/17: Ohio Bird Fair - Circleville Volunteer Fire Department, 129 Robbins Station Road, Irwin, PA - 10-4
7/23:No Place Like Home. Phoenix Landing class. 10-12/ Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services, 4105 Rust Rd. Fairfax, VA [satisfies PL adoption process requirement].--Toy making class. 11am Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC --Avian Health and Medicine class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC --Addressing Screaming for Attention in Companion Parrots, Your Computer. Barbara Heidenreich webinar. 12:30-1:30 CST
7/24:Long Island Parrot Society picnic. (LIPS members and family only) Belmont Lake State Park (Oak Pavilion) in West Babylon. 10 am to sunset -- Positive Reinforcement class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
- Lost: Congo African grey 'Pepper' Thompson, CT. reward offered. (774) 280-4613/Kimbley21@aol.com -- Found: Small green parrot (likely Quaker), Endicott, NY. Must be able to prove registration. (607) 348-5864