From the parrot's beak: July 24 edition
- As if Internet grammar Nazis aren't enough, birds apparently have their own grammar rules, say some scientists. The conclusion was reached by observing the reactions of budgerigars and zebra finches to certain bird song patterns- and then deliberately jumbling them
- World Parrot Refuge Woes: Some disturbing behavior among the parrots adopted from the closed facility are being reported by the FEATHERS organization "The birds are terrified of any unexplained quiet sounds in the room, which we believe is due to the rampant rodent infestation in the refuge. When on the ground, they walk with an unusual 'shuffle', keeping their feet testing the floor all the time. The saddest behavior we have encountered is their round the clock fear of attack. Some of them cannot relax unless they are covered on three sides, some spent a number of nights wide awake before they believed they could relax to sleep at all, and some cannot tolerate having anything blocking their view from any angle. When we were in the refuge we noted many birds literally living under the cages where they hoped food would fall and that they would not be bullied away from it.These adoptions will not be normal in any way."
- The customer is always right.... right?: Reported phone conversation: "Iowa Parrot Rescue. This is Mike" "Do you have parrots for adoption?" "Sure do." "Good, I want one.... where are you?" "We're southeast of Iowa City about 30 minutes." "Where's that?" "Umm...where are you?" "Louisiana." "Oh. Sorry, we can't place birds that far away." "What state are YOU in?" "Iowa" "Where's that?" "Hmmm...do you know where the Mississippi River is?" "Sure...right by my house." "Well, if you got in a boat and went up the river about 1000 miles, you'd be 10 miles from my house." "If you're that far away, why are you on my internet?"
- Pollytics '16: A woman was giving her parrot a shower as Donald Trump delivered his nomination acceptance speech, "My yellow-collared macaw yelled 'Whoo!' through the whole shower. Perhaps because she loves showers, perhaps because the speech was over." Left unsaid was if this was a "Whoo" of approval or disapproval; or relief that the 75 minute stemwinder was over.
- Texas Troubles:There aren't as many feral parakeets in McAllen, Texas; these days and some suspect that a program to eliminate "pest" starlings may be to blame .A "bird repellent" used by the hired Orkin company is said by one expert to contain poison.“Methyl Anthranilate’s method for bird control is a pain stimulus in the trigeminal nerves which are found in the throats and mucus membranes of the beak and eyes. It irritates their nasal passages. Almost all animals have these nerves, yet only birds have a negative response to Methyl Anthranilate. Birds ‘feel’ Methyl Anthranilate as pain, while mammals, including humans, sense it as a grape scent.” Ironically, McAllen is considered a top bird watching destination.
- The Price is Right: Bob Barker, philanthropist and former TV game show host, hast donated a large sum to Foster Parrots/New England Wildlife Sanctuary, based in Hope
Valley, RI., through his DJ&T Foundation. The grant is being used to fund on-site workers cabins and a ire alarm system for the sanctuary.
- Parrotrivia: In a classic “Monkees” episode, the boys daydream believe themselves themselves as pirates- and of course, a yellow head Amazon parrot comes along for the ride.
- Vets and Pets: "CBS Sunday Morning" last week featured a segment on the Serenity Park Sanctuary in Los Angles; where rescue parrot interact with veterans with PTSD.
- Quote o' the Week: I love birds. It's people I can't stand. - Facebook meme.
- Contest: When Avitech Bird Supplies page reaches 22,000 LIKES, they will donate another $1,000 for 12 blue-throated macaw nest boxes installed in Bolivia.
- Hot Dates: 7/23: Clear the Shelters a nationwide pet adoption initiative that aims to connect animals in need with loving new families.Birds of many types are not uncommon at some shelters. -- No Place Like Home. Phoenix Landing class. 10-12/ Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services, 4105 Rust Rd. Fairfax, VA [satisfies PL adoption process requirement].--Toy making class. 11am Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC --Avian Health and Medicine class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC --Addressing Screaming for Attention in Companion Parrots, Your Computer. Barbara Heidenreich webinar. 12:30-1:30 CST
7/24: Long Island Parrot Society Picnic. (LIPS members and family only) Belmont Lake State Park (Oak Pavilion) in West Babylon. 10 am to sunset -- Positive Reinforcement class. 2 pm. Parrot University, 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
7/26: 7:00- 8:30 PM Central Time WEBINAR Train Your Parrot to Step Up webinar with Barbara Heidenreich 7:30-8:30 pm CST.
7/30-31:Treasure Coast Budgie Club Show-Port St. Lucie Community Center, 2195 Airoso Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL 9-5 both days
7/30: Bosley's Big Birthday Bash.11-4. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC -- Solutions for Biting and Aggressive Behavior in companion Parrots webinar with Barbara Heidenreich. 12:00- 1:30 pm CST.
7/31: Sex & the Single Bird class. 2 pm. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
8/1: Deadline for the eviction of birds from the defunct World Parrot Refuge in Coombs, Canada
8/4-6: American Federation of Aviculture 42nd Educational Conference & Avian Expo- Radisson Cromwell, 100 Berlin Rd., Cromwell, CT
- Found: Canary winged parakeet - Bee Bee Parrot West Islip, NY Leg Band -:found deceased Contact: Long Island Parrot Society Email : firstname.lastname@example.org