From the parrot's beak: May 8 edition
- Say what?: Louder than the roar of a jumbo jet is the shriek of a Moluccan cockatoo. At a literally ear drum shattering 140 decibels (105 considered harmful to human hearing), it is thought to be the loudest bird on earth.
- Size matters: Aviary cage sizes for breeding birds are mandated in some countries and even locally in some parts of the US. A member of the American Federation for Aviculture objects, saying "This is why we fight anti-avicultural legislation because sooner or later, the government via USDA and USFWS (usually under pressure from Animal Rights groups), will attempt to regulate every aspect of keeping birds. It IS happening in other countries."
- Controversial parrot rescue founder steps down: He's worked for years to conserve wild parrots and to rescue no longer wanted domestic parrots, but the former Mud Man has his detractors as well as admirers in the parrot owning world. George Sommers' feature story in the May '16 The Pet Gazette
- Psittacine cinema: Last kakapo flies to Little Barrier Island | Environmentsci ...
- Pollytics '16: "Is John Kasich's campaign a dead parrot - or is it just pining for the fjords?" questioned one political observer; shortly before the Ohio politician dropped out of the race. .
- Parrotrivia: Mr. Ed, the talking horse, becomes jealous of Tootsie; the talking parrot owned by Wilbur Post's aunt. Ed drops Tootsie off at a pet shop. When Wilbur attempts to retrieve the bird, he has to identify the correct one out of three lookalikes. Luckily, the aunt was fond of TV medical dramas so Tootsie would say phrases like "Kiss the nurse."
- Quote o' the week: Yes I'm a bird person. No, I'm not socially awkward or lonely.An no you are not invited to my bird's birthday party. - Facebook meme.
- Hot dates: All times EST unless otherwise noted.
5/7-8:Hawaii Pet Expo Featuring Aloha Hawaiian Parrot Association. FREE Donations of nonperishable food items are being accepted at the door to benefit the Hawaii Foodbank. 10-4 (HAST) Neal S. Blaisdell Center Exhibition Hall, 777 Ward Avenue, Honolulu, HI Island: Oahu
5/8-14: National Be Kind to Animals Week
5/10:Bird relationships and the timeline of bird evolution Didya know:parrots and falcons are closely related? Daniel Field is guest speaker.The Parrot Club Veteran's Memorial Clubhouse 100 Sunset Ridge Road East Hartford, CT
5/14: Feathered Sanctuary Parrot Rescue 2nd Annual Picnic. Special guest presentation by Dr. Irene Pepperberg. Also Chet Fuhrman, Casey Jones the African grey. Dr. Susan Crane and Sammy the certified therapy cockatoo, Food, raffles.12-5. 1674 Kirkwood Pk. Kirkwood, PA -- Lara Joseph; animal/parrot behaviorist and Todd Driggers DVM address at Oasis Sanctuary 10-4. MST. 5411 N. Teren Rd., Bensen, AZ -- Acupuncture in Animals class. Parrot University. Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC -- Critter Palooza Exotic Bird & Animal Fair. 8-1. Clemmons Civic Club. 2870 Middlebrook Dr., Clemmons, NC -- Understanding behavior - Stepping Stones toward Bird Training 1-3, Nevins Farm MSPCA, 400 Broadway, Methuen, MA -- Bird Mart. 9-5. $4.; under 12 FREE. 2001 Suntide Rd. Corpus Christi, TX.