- Pets and Animals»
From the parrot's beak: Nov. 15 edition
- Rapture insurance for non-Christian parrots: Afraid that your parrot (or any other pet) is not quite sinless enough to earn its heavenly wings when the Messiah returns for his encore presentation? For a bargain fee of $10, After the Rapture Pet Care will hook Polly or Fido up with a volunteer atheist to be cared for after the worthier among us board that ultimate one way flight.
- Say Gwen: A few weeks after acquiring a parakeet, pop songstress Gwen Stefani brought her three sons to a Los Angeles exotic bird shop to purchase anther feathered friend. What kind is a bit of a mystery, but there are a few clues. The clan cavorts with a harlequin macaw in a video apparently shot from outside of the store through the window and in "Us Weekly" photos, but the purchased parrot is reported to be a "smaller bird". Nine year old son Kingston reportedly favored a bird described as green and yellow. Subsequent video footage and photos show the family cooing over a white bellied caique.There's been criticism from some quarters that as an entertainer she's on the road too much to give a parrot the proper attention and that children as young as hers can't handle the responsibility. Others counter that a staff of household help would be around to tend to the birds.Video: Gwen Stefani takes her sons shopping for a parrot amid break-up ...
- 10 dozen abandoned parakeets OK in OK: Speaking of mystery birds, 120 banded parakeets were found in three boxes along a busy highway in Oklahoma City, OK. There was food and water in the boxes, but authorities are stumped as to whether the birds were abandoned, fell off a truck or whatever. They are now safely ensconced at Oklahoma City's Animal Welfare building. "There's a lot of singing," said Julie Bank with Animal Welfare. "It's a little bit of a ruckus. My guess is they're having a party in there for the day."
- Thirteen is the lucky number (hopefully) of captive reared orange bellied parrots scheduled to be released into the Tasmanian wild to help bolster the population,
- Parrotrivia: A disgruntled ex-employee of "Fantasy Island" hatches a revenge plot to kidnap Tattoo, but the little guy thwarts the scheme with the assistance of Pepper the parrot and Chester the chimp. The episode originally aired in 1979.
- Polly-tics '16: “Polly,” the political prognositcating parrot picks up others’ predictions, averages them out and makes her call. Polly first appeared in 2004, delivering a near-perfect prediction of the vote percentage that Pres. Bush won against Sen. Kerry. She repeated this in the Obama-McCain contest. At no time during either year - Polly’s forecasts began at 6 to 12 months before Election Day - did Polly’s picks show either eventual winner losing the election. Despite the name and parrot pictures that accompany Internet references to pollyvote.com. we kinda suspect it's actually humans doing the calculations.
- Parrot joke: A parrot walks into a store and asks "Got any grapes?" "No" replies the clerk. The parrot walks out the door. A little while later the parrot returns and asks "Got any grapes?" The clerk replies, "I told you 15 minutes ago, i don't have any grapes!" The parrot once again walks out. Ten minutes later, the parrot returns and asks "Got any grapes?" The irate clerk yells "No! We didn't have any, we don't have any and we're not going to have any! If you ask again, i'm going to nail your feet to the floor!" The parrot leaves. Later that day the parrot returns and asks "Got any nails?" The clerk says "NO!". The parrot replies "OK then, ya got any grapes?"
- Hot dates:
11/14-15: Canadian Parrot Conference - Featuring Barbara Heidenreich speaking on “Scirocco the Kakapo” and “Addressing Screaming”. Holiday Inn Guelph, 601 Scottsdale Dr., Guelph, Ontario, Canada - Sat 9-5 pm, Sun 9-5
11/14: Toy making with Concetta: American Federation for Aviculture northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo fills in for Santa at this instruction class. Toy parts will be provided but participants are encouraged to bring and recycle pieces from old toys. 2 pm. Schenectady County Library, 99 Clinton St., Schenectady, NY.
The Parrot Club Birdie Bash - Veterans Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT - 10-4
Positive Reinforcement Training Class, 2 p.m.Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville. NC
Things I wish I'd Known. A comprehensive parrot care class for the new and experienced alike. 11-1. Pender County Library, 75 Library Dr., Hampstead, NC
Atlanta Pet Expo - Georgia International Convention Center, 2000 Convention Center Concourse, Atlanta, GA- 10-6
Caring for the Whole Parrot. Class. 11-1. First and St. Stephen's United Church of Christ, 6915 York Rd. Towsend, MD.
11/15: "Freeflight: An Improved Lifestyle" presentation by Lewis Buddy Waskey, 2:30 Peninsula Cage Bird Society, Diamond Springs/Garden Wood Park Civic League building (off Diamond Springs Road) 5652 Haden Road, Norfolk VA
Parrot 101 class. 2 p.m. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville, NC
11/20-22: Parrots International Symposium 2015 - Campo Grande Convention Center, Campo Grande, Brazil - Fri 8:30-5:30, Sat 8:30-6:30, Sun 8:30-6
11/21: Lancaster Bird Expo featuring guest speakers: Jamie Whittaker; Vice President of The American Federation Of Aviculture. Patricia Sund's chop shop and grain bake, Concetta Ferragamo's Ultimate Cage Challenge & Toy Rehab and John Lege "That Guy With The Birds" with two special shows. Please leave your own pets at home. 9-5. :ancaster Host Resort 2300 Lincoln Hwy. E., Lancaster, PA
Jeopardy! The nutrition edition: Test your knowledge about nutrition and how it affects birds. There are prizes involved, and hopefully everyone will have a chance to play. Attendees will also make batches of mash, pumpkin bread and fresh fruit/veggie salad. 10-12. The Landing, 31 Landing Place, Alexander, NC
Toy making class: 11 am Parrot University, Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
A Parrot's Point of View class: How a parrot adapts to their lives in our homes. [satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement] 1-3. Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services, 4105 Rust Rd., Fairfax, VA
11/22: Breeder/author Rick Jordan addresses a rather ominous sounding topic "Is there a Future for Aviculture?" at The Real Macaw Parrot Club; 2 pm, East Sjoree Area Library, 4501 Ethel St. Harrisburg, PA
Ask the Veterinarian with Dr. Frank Rutowski, DVM Reservations required. Attendees please submit questions by Nov. 13, to firstname.lastname@example.org 2pm. Parrot University, Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville NC
- Lost: African grey parrot Banded, and part of a bonded pair.(714) 328-4514 or (916) 508-4719 -- Found: Parrot (species unclear- described as lovebird, but in photo appears to be young sun or jenday conure) Camarillo, CA. Ventura County Animal Services - Camarillo, 600 Aviation Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010. Ask for information about animal ID number: A632868