From the parrot's beak: Oct. 17 edition
- Halloween parrot seance: If you ever wish you could talk to your parrot that has passed away, you just might have your chance. "I can help you communicate with these special creatures whether they are still here on the physical plane or have passed back into spirit," says psychic/medium/animal communicator Laurie Blomer. This Halloween, you and your pet bird (alive or on the bucket kicked list) can participate in a real parrot-normal activity. Ms. Blomer will be travelling from her Pennsylvania base to conduct psychic readings at Nevins Farm in Methuen, MA. "Laurie gave me a few suggestions for my Moluccan that completely changed his behavior for the better when I put them into action. She's been pretty spot on!" testifies Melissa Cara. Still skeptical? This correspondent email interviewed a pet psychic some years ago about Goffin's cockatoo Pippy. Many of her revelations were fairly general- but she did mention a "golden circle". Just a week earlier, I had found a long lost gold college ring and started wearing it again. Remember, this was an email interview! The event is sponsored by MSPCA's SOAR - Special Owners of Adopted & Rescued Birds, "a community designed to help people find or place pet birds, share stories and provide coaching, advice and support to bird owners in New England and beyond." This 10/31 (yes, Halloween) spooky fun event runs from 10 am-2 pm but act fast if you want to take part as reservations for 15 or 30 minute sessions are being gobbled up faster than the goodies in a trick or treater's bag.
- Escapee 'too is local celeb: A strange bird haunts one of the toniest parts of the veddy tony town of Brookline, Massachusetts. Dino the Goffin's cockatoo flew the coop and has been on the lam since July. Several recapture efforts have been answered by the one human English word in Dino's vocabulary - "No". He has his human fans, including at least one keeping him fed by leaving out corn and other goodies. Dino's story and color photograph were prominently featured in an above the fold front page "Boston Globe" article. But not everyone is charmed by the bird's antics. "This bird has an extraordinarily annoying screech," says former federal judge and Harvard Law School lecturer Nancy Gertner. Moreover, Dino has taken to chewing up the wooden siding on Gertner's house; which also happens to be the birthplace of Robert F. Kennedy. Many are worried that the 'too will not survive a Boston winter, especially one like last year's with its record breaking snowfall, although Gertner says, "Candidly, we are no longer concerned about that."
- Quote o' the week: Dog and cat people don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but the one thing they can agree on is there's nobody weirder than bird people.
- Good (for a change) conservation news: Xcaret Ecopark is a Disney-esque theme park located on Mexico’s Caribbean coast that has been breeding a captive population of macaws for over two decades. In 2009, the Guinness Book of World Records recognized it for having the most macaws born in captivity in one year. The park’s record-breaking breeding program is now providing birds that can be released back into Mexico’s remaining rainforests. -- After just over one year, 134 custom-made nest boxes have been given the seal of approval by the turquoise parrots who are using them near the Warby Ranges in Victoria, Australia. The Practical Parrot Action project and the Bed & Breakfast for the Birds projects are planning for even more nesting sites as a key part for the birds' survival.
- Conure bird do this?: Congratulations to Clyde the conure; avian ambassador for the Avian Adventure show at Southwick's Zoo in Mendon, MA. for his demonstrations on how parrots nest in cavities out in the wild.
- Freebie jeebies: For a limited time, Barbara Heidenreich is offering free access to a webinar on Training Rescued/Rehomed Parrots. Copy and paste the link below into your browser. If you are on an ipad or iphone, use the free app Puffin or Photon as your browser. http://www.instantpresenter.com/barbarasffat/EB56DC86884B
- Parrotrivia: Mr. Mooney's pet bird escapes from Lucy and Viv's care and perches on a telephone wire. Lucy dons rubber swim fins (to insulate from the power lines) and a grass skirt (don't ask) in order to climb to the roof and fetch the wayward flier. Failing that attempt, she and Viv buy a new bird and try to pass it off as the original. Oddly enough, three different Internet sources state three different types of birds as Mooney's pet: a parakeet a cockatiel or a cockatoo. Someone's got some "'splainin'" to do. -- The parrot flower is native to Thailand. It is illegal to export.
- Hot dates:
10/17: Parrot-ghetti NIte to benefit Under My Wing parrot rescue; also Antler Ridge Wildlife Refuge and Elks National foundation. Featuring speaker Concetta Ferragamo, who really getting around lately. Food, auction, vendors, prizes. 6-10. Elks Lodge, 152 County Rd. Wantage, NJ for ticket info call (973) 702-7770.
Baltimore Bird Fanciers 75th Annual Bird Show & Mart - Baltimore Travel Plaza, 5625 O'Donnell St, Baltimore, MD - 9 -4
Massachusetts Cage Bird Association Bird Mart - Elks Lodge, 40 Old Ferry Road, Lowell, MA - 9-3
Fort Worth Bird Club Bird Mart Cleburne Conference Center 1501 W. Henderson Cleburne,Texas --Parrot 101 class, 2 p.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
No Place Like Home class. 10-12.[also satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process requirement].31 Landing Pl., Alexander, NC
Behavior Workshop. Every problem has a solution. 10-12. Midway Veterinary Hospital 1646 S. Military Hwy. Chesapeake, VA
10/18: Positive Reinforcement class. 2 p.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/21: Disco, the amazing talking budgie, appears on PBS TV series on Nature “Pets- Wild at Heart' episode.
10/24-25: Parrot Training Workshop with Barbara Heidenreich. Iserlohn, Germany. Hosted by Parrots Parcel. Lecture, powerpoint, video examples, live training demos and hands on training opportunities. The lecture will be presented in English with German translation available.
10/24: Pasadena Bird Mart 9-5 Campbell Hall/Pasadena Fairgrounds 7603 Red Bluff Rd. Pasadena, TX
Toy making class. 11 a.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
10/25: Picnic with the Parrots 2015 sponsored by So Cal Parrot.10-2 3621 Hidden Ridge Road, Jamul, CA
So you think you want a talking bird? class 2 p.m. Parrot University 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC
Things I wish I'd known class. 1-3.[satisfies Phoenix Landing adoption process] Stahl Veterinary Services 4105 Rust Rd. Fairfax, VA requirement].
- Lost: Green cheeked conure 'Sophia'. Reward offered. Northridge, CA (818) 534-8320 -- Found: Conure, South New Jersey if you can identify and the band numbering can be reunited. (609) 374-7263. -- Lost: Cockatiel 'Sweetie Bird' Sleepy Hollow NY. 7 years old with yellow and white head and gray and white body. Reward.(917) 553-5569 -- Found: Yellow nape Amazon; Bellport NY area.☎ (631) 758-6777