From the parrot's beak: it's Halloween edition
- If you're with us, give us a sign: "My Amazon, Paco, has never been a really great talker. As I was working, I heard her call my name. She has done this for years but what happened next amazed me. When she came to live with me I had an older poodle named Chester. He died in 1976. I don't remember if she used to call Chester all those years ago but today Paco was clearly calling Chester's name and whistling for him with the whistle I have always used to call my dogs. So about 35 years after Chester died, out of nowhere Paco starts calling for Chester. After working with parrots for so long, I know that they are full of surprises but this one has me really amazed!" relates former "Bird Talk" correspondent Sally Blanchard.
- Psittacine cinema: Einstein’s Scary Birdie Ghost Stories -- Madison eating pumpkin -- Budgies have a 6th sense- and they look really cool in ultraviolet (black) light, too. PETS Wild at Heart ~ The Parakeet's Superior...
- Vampire parakeet: This correspondent arrived home late one night to discover Yellowbird the budgie sleeping in a most unusual position - hanging upside down from his cage top. Knowing bats' penchant for sleeping in a similar manner, I briefly feared that the bird had gone vampire. However, a quick check in his birdie mirror revealed his image; and a few minutes later, YB resumed a more standard pose on a perch next to girlfriend Pepita.
- Man cuts off ears to look like parrot: Ted Richards loves parrots so much that he tattooed his face and eyeballs so he could look like one. But the 56-year-old Bristol, England resident didn't stop there. He had his ears removed in a six-hour operation. Richards said he was teased about his ears as a child, although that wasn't the primary reason for the double Van Gogh act. The issue of keeping his eyeglasses in place was raised and remedied by two small metal pins stuck into the sides of his head. "I went to the supermarket said 'Blimey, it's so windy out there it blew my ears off,' and everybody had a chuckle," he says. Don't know if he was Roman, but a friend and countryman was the "lucky" recipient of the severed ears. A bit extreme for Halloween, we'd have to say.....
- Vampire parrots(?): They reappeared a century after they were thought to be long gone. The mysterious night parrot, as its name implies; is mostly nocturnal.
- It's a scream: In the wild, parrots learn to mimic the alarm calls of other species so they can keep the food source to themselves.
- Halloween parrotrivia: Paul Lynde, best known as "Bewitched"'s wisecracking Uncle Arthur; also had a 1976 Halloween variety special. In one skit, he played a sheik wooing a proper English lady played by Florence Henderson - offering such gifts as "a cockatoo, just like in 'Baretta'"- which in actuality was a stuffed greenwing macaw!
- Witch way: "I collect Wizard of Oz things and my collection has grown into having its own room in the house. Recently added this 6ft witch to my collection. I brought Bonzo into the room to meet her. I held him up to her , he gives her a kiss, making the kissing sound, and says, 'good !'. I told him, 'Actually Bonzo, she's pretty wicked', and he just laughed," writes a reader of the Zumba parrot Facebook page.
- Halloween parrot-phernalia: If the full sized pirate 'n' parrot skeleton pictured above is too extravagant, you can also get a talking parrot skeleton in a cage at one of the national drug store chains.
- The hanging bird cage torture was a ubiquitous sight throughout medieval Europe. The victim was displayed and slowly, brutally left to the elements, facing eventual death.
- Quote o' the week: Regarding a recently purchased parrot costume, one Halloween reveler pondered, "I was thinking about my colleagues who are concerned about me because they think that I'm too obsessed with my parrots, and I thought that I might get this and wear it to work one day next week. Good idea?" At least he's not cutting his ears off!
10/31: Psychic readings for your parrot: living or deceased conducted by psychic/medium/animal communicator Laurie Blomer. Sponsored by Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals's SOAR - Special Owners of Adopted & Rescued Birds, "a community designed to help people find or place pet birds, share stories and provide coaching, advice and support to bird owners in New England and beyond." 10 am-2 pm. Nevins Farm, 400 Broadway, Methuen, MA.
Steel City Pet Expo - Monroeville Convention Center, 209 Mall Boulevard, Monroeville, PA - 9-5
Fun with food class Parrot University Pineville Town Market 321 S Polk St Pineville NC
11/1: Sex and the Single Bird class 2 pm. Parrot University Pineville Town Market 321 S Polk St Pineville NC
11/6-8: American Cockatiel Society's 38th Annual Specialty Show and
Society Of Parrot Breeders And Exhibitors 30th Annual Specialty Show Free. Public welcome.Quality Inn 151 N. Douglas Ave., Altamonte Springs, FL
11/7-8: New Jersey Family Pet Show - Garden State Convention Center, 50 Atrium Drive, Somerset, NJ - Sat 10-7, Sun 10-5
Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair - Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA - 9-4 pm both days
11/7: Paint like an artist and benefit Lazicki's Bird House & Rescue! Skilled instructor will demonstrate the steps to create your own version of an art piece. 12-2:30 p.m. Muse Paintbar, 117 N. Main St., Providence, RI. Visit lazibirds.org for details
Texas Bird Breeders and Fanciers Association Fall Bird Fair and Show. Longest running bird show in Texas. 9-4. Mayborn Convention Center, Temple,. TX.
Normal Avian Behavior class with Leslie Sinn, DVM. How bird behavior affects bird care. Grace Presbyterian Church, 10-12. 7434 Bath St., Springfield, VA
South Eastern Massachusetts Canary Club Annual Show - Liberal Club, 20 Star St., Fall River, MA - 10-5
11/14: Toy making with Concetta: As Halloween passes, it's time to think about... Christmas. American Federation for Aviculture northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo fills in for Santa at this special toy making instruction class. Toy parts will be provided but participants are encouraged to bring and recycle pieces from old toys. 2 p.m. Schenectady County Library, 99 Clinton St., Schenectady, NY.
Atlanta Pet Expo - Georgia International Convention Center, 2000 Convention Center Concourse, Atlanta, GA- 10-6
The Parrot Club Birdie Bash - Veterans Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT - 10-4
11/14-15: Canadian Parrot Conference - Featruring Barbara Heidenriech speaking on “Scirocco the Kakapo” and “Addressing Screaming”. Holiday Inn Guelph, 601 Scottsdale Dr., Guelph, Ontario, Canada - Sat 9-5 pm, Sun 9-5
- Lost: Baby African grey, Lunenburg, MA Reward offered. (978) 582-4694. -- Lost Female Senegal parrot 'Pretty Baby' Plymouth, MI Band on leg. Reward. (734) 455-0391 or (734) 756-1242. -- Lost: Female parakeet 'Petey' Plymouth, MI. Bright yellow with neon green on her chest. If you put your finger out like a perch she will jump onto it. She will also sit on your shoulder. (949) 257-3873