From the parrot's beak: summer falls edition
- Cookie D'oh: Cookie the Major Mitchell's cockatoo, a star attraction at Chicago's Brookfield Zoo, has died at the age of 83 on August 27. Cookie, certified by Guinness World Records as the oldest living parrot in 2014, was the oldest resident at the zoo and the only surviving member of the original animal collection, dating back to the zoo's 1934 opening. He arrived at Brookfield at the age of 1 from Taronga Zoo in Australia. One of his many fans is Dr. Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji, a holy man and healer from India, who founded a parrot sanctuary there and made a special trip to Chicago when he heard about Cookie's passing. Chicago Zoological Society has set up a memorial fund in memory of Cookie. Contributions will go directly to the entire bird collection, and animals of Brookfield Zoo.
- Banned in (almost) Boston: There will be no more live animal sales in Cambridge, MA - at least from "pet shops" if a new city ordinance is passed; a potential victory for "animal rights" supporters. Still allowable would be the transfer of "rescue" animals.
- Many Happy Returns: Dolly the Amazon is home. The 26 year old 'too, who is not for sale, was birdnapped after she was stolen from Whiskers, Wings and Wild Things; a Canton, Ohio pet store. Two suspects tried to nab a parakeet who wanted no part of it, so it bit one of the suspects and was thrown back into its cage. They took off with Dolly in a dog carrier instead. But some days later, a cockatiel cage was dropped off at the shop,with Dolly inside. Guess they decided if a parakeet was too much to handle, an Amazon was even worse!
- More fun than a barrel of monkeys?: A parrot convention beats the recent political conventions, anyway! "Conventional Wisdom" an inside look at the American Federation of Aviculture's annual conference is this month's Page 8 "Pet Gazette" article. Pet Gazette http://petgazette.net/
- Paging Homer Simpson: "As an animal trainer, I believe in luring as a tool in my tool box to get an action started so that I can reinforce desired behavior. I'll have this box of doughnuts at my vendor booth tomorrow morning," says Barbara Heidenreich, displaying an Instagram photo of the hole-y pastries. She doesn't say as much, but apparently the lure subjects are animals of the human variety.
- Psittacine cinema: Amazon Parrot and Guitarist Duet Sing Medley - Brazil ... - YouTube
- Didja know: Parrots are altricial - they are born blind, helpless and naked and that a lot of parental care and teaching to grow up healthy and learn their social skills (Thanks to Sally Blanchard).
- Parrotrivia: Billy Parker the comedian made a never finished joke about parrots which may have been a reference to the "Monty Python" dead parrot sketch in a "Six Million Dollar Man" episode. He had other things on his mind, however; including an electronic implant in his mind through which others could control him and moreover he bore a striking resemblance to the Prime Minister of the African nation of Zoranga.
- Quote o' the week: My parrot being loud makes me wish for earplugs. My parrot being silent means something valuable is being destroyed. - Facebook meme
- Hot Dates: Ongoing-9/5: “Birds from Down Under” Immersive experience with bird species native to Australia. Stroll among and feed over 500 birds including grass parakeets, cockatiels and various parrots. Roger Williams Park Zoo, 1000 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI
9/2-4: National Cockatiel Society 2016 Specialty Show - River Terrace Resort, 240 River Rd, Gatlinburg, TN - Fri 3-7, Sat - Sun 10-4
9/3-4: Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair - Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA - 9-4 both days
9/5: Labor Day: Unofficial end of summer. Noooooooo!
9/10: Connecticut Pet Expo - Webster Bank Arena, 600 Main St., Bridgeport, CT - 10-6 -- NY Finch & Type Canary Club Annual Show - St. Jude’s Church, 1696 Canarsie Road, Brooklyn, NY - 10-5-- Sid Price, Avian Ambassadors, The Accidental Trainer, Springfield, VA Contact Phoenix Landing for details.--Fun with Food class.1 pm Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk
9/11: Parrot 101 class. 2 pm. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk --A Parrot's Point of View class. Cary, NC.Contact Phoenix Landing for details.
9/13: "Beyond the Scope: The Social and Emotional Lives of Captive Parrots" author and former Humane Education Director for Foster Parrots Michelle Parrett,is guest speaker at The Parrot Club monthly meeting.Veteran's Memorial Clubhouse. 6:30 (socail), 7 pm meeting
100 Sunset Ridge Road, East Hartford, CT. And yes, as far as we know that's her real name.
- Found: Male blue parakeet. Southampton Animal Shelter at (631) 728-PETS, 102 Old Riverhead Road, Hampton Bays, NY -- Lost: Macaw, Vernon Hills, IL reward offered (847) 702-9820 -- Lost:Yellow naped Amazon 'Amore' New Hyde Park NY (516) 710-6722 -- Lost: White bellied caique 'Chester' Framingham, MA. Reward offered. (978) 618-879