- Pets and Animals»
From the parrot's beak: March 20 edition
- Motorcycling Macaw Nabbed: Spyke the motorcycling macaw and his riding buddy, Mike Mularz were fixtures at Bike Week in Daytona, Florida- until last week, when the bird was snatched from the cycle. Mularz left his companion of 22 years on the motorcycle while he parked and walked across the street to listen to a band at a bar called Dirty Harry's. Although he periodically checked on her, witnesses say a transient type was messing around with and eventually made off with Spyke. Some gave chase but the alleged perp got away; and apparently Dirty Harry wasn't on the premises to help. Mularz is offering a reward for Spyke's self return. She can be id'ed with a leg band and; unusual for a blue & gold macaw; has one wing feather which is entirely yellow. LATE UPDATE: Mularz and Spyke have been reunited. Full story in next week's edition.
- Tool time: Greater vasa parrots have joined the ranks of parrot species that use tools. The vasas of Lincolnshire Wildlife Park use a pebble or date pit to rub against seashells that line their outdoor cage floors. It seems that the males were the ones engaging in the grinding activity and speculation is that they were trying to get at the calcium content that they would regurgitate to feed breeding or brooding females for healthier eggs.
- Parrots in Switzerland are considered victims of abuse if they don’t live or interact regularly with others of their species according to sweeping animal rights legislation introduced in 2008.
- A chicken in every pot: Bongo Marie, an African grey; was in her cage next to the dining room table while Paco, her double yellow head Amazon housemate was situated somewhere out of view, Owner Sally Blanchard removed her fresh cooked Cornish hen from the oven and was about to carve when Bongo Marie slid down the side of her cage; eyed the meal and cried out, "OH NO, PACO!?!?!" More funny parrot stories: https://companionparrotonline.com/Story_Grey.html
- Parrotrivia: In a "McHale's Navy" episode, the sailors win a yellow head Amazon in a crap game with the Marines. Capt. Binghamton forbids fraternization with female personnel, so a plot is hatched to create a secret social club in an abandoned air raid shelter. Someone rats them out, however; in the episode entitled "The Stool Parrot".
- Pollytics '16: "Donald Trump is not a pig; he's a parrot of Republicans behind closed doors," says former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm; which she apparently didn't mean in a good way.
- News for parrots (via classic Monty Python): Good evening. Here is the news for parrots. No parrots were involved in an accident on the M1 today when a lorry carrying high-octane fuel was in collison with a bollard. That's a bollard and not a parrot. A spokesman for parrots said he was glad no parrots were involved. The Minister of Technology (photo of minister with parrot on his shoulder) today met the three Russian leaders (cut to photograph of Brezhnev, Podgorny and Kosygin all in a group and each with a parrot on his shoulder) to discuss a £4 million airliner deal...(cut back to narrator) None of them went in the cage, or swung on the little wooden trapeze or ate any of the nice millet seed yum, yum. That's the end of the news, now our program for parrots continues with part three of 'A Tale of Two Cities', specially adapted for parrots .
- Quote o' the week: ”Aviculture - The worldwide hobby of keeping and breeding numerous species of wild birds in captivity to maintain their numerical status in nature with a view of forestalling their extinction by supplying aviary raised stock,". described by Dr. Jean Delacour.
- Work with parrots: Foster Parrots, Ltd. and The New England Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary in Hope Valley, RI is looking for an Animal Care and Enrichment Specialist; pay is $30,000/yr. Submit resume and cover letter with 3 references to:email@example.com
- Hot Dates:
3/18-20: Super Pet Expo - Dulles Expo Center, 4320 Chantilly Shopping Center, Chantilly, VA - Fri 4-8, Sat 10-7, Sun 10-5 pm
3/19-20: Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society Show. Sat. 9-5; Sun. 9-4. Door prize. Under 12/over 65 FREE. Collett St. Reecreation Center, 300 Collett St., Morganton, NC.
3/19: Connecticut Parrot Society Featherfest: 9th annual show. Featuring speakers avian nutritionist Jason Crean and raptor rehabilitator Mary Beth Kaiser. 10-5. Elks Club. 44 Maynard St., Middletown, CT. Fun with Food Class 2 pm.Parrot University. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC The Contented Companion class. Phoenix Landing. Fairfax, VA. SEAVS
3/20: Positive Reinforcement class. 2 pm. Parrot University. 321 South Polk St, Pineville NC Treasure Coast Exotic Bird Club 19th Annual Exotic Bird Expo - Martin County Fairgrounds, 2612 SE Dixie Hwy, Stuart, FL - 9-4
3/23; 3/24: Train Your Parrot to Step Up live webinar with Barbara Heidenreich. 7-8:30 CST (both nights). Participants receive recorded version for later use.
3/26,27: Easter weekend. Bird events largely on hiatus but the spring show/event onslaught continues next week.
Lost: Congo African grey. Sarasota, FL.☎ (941) 366-1873 -- Lost : conure 'JJ', Ocala FL (561) 339-0449 -- Lost: green Quaker 'Mambo', Huntsville, AL Reward offered. ☎ (256) 513-2107