From the parrot's beak: Nov. 8 edition
- True crime stories: Was Ruby the greenwing macaw birdnapped? A family in Fort Lauderdale, FL claims she was, and moreover they've fingered three persons of interest along with a theory that the allegedly purloined parrot may be in Homestead FL, Salt Lake City UT or Las Vegas NV. We here at "parrot's beak" would like to know if there is another side to this story and invite any of the alleged perps to write to us in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org. -- A spiteful ex-girlfriend is accused of rehoming a cockatoo without the consent of the owner; then fleeing the country. 4 year old female umbrella cockatoo "Bella" says (although difficult to make out) "I love you" "I love you too" "I really love you" "what??" "Okay!" and "Hiiii". Bella may have been given to a rescue and adopted. Owner Garrett Remes of Oakland, CA says, " I will buy you another cockatoo if you give her back, or pay you cash, or do pro-bono graphic design for you." Email email@example.com
- Of gravel concern: Gravel/grit is often assumed to be an essential supply for pet birds, particularly parakeets, as a digestive aid. Some experts argue that crunching beaks and digestive juices do just fine breaking down food on their own and moreover birds can even become ill from grit impaction.
- Psittacine cinema: Wild Macaws: Ara Macao Release Tiskita - YouTube
- Quaker notes: Those huge nests that you see if you have feral quaker parrots in your neighborhood can weigh up to 100 pounds. Each unit has a bedroom, living room and bathroom. The males do the house building. Because a favorite nest building site is on electrical transformers, quakers are considered nuisances in 17 states.
- Not a peep- the bird's asleep - November's The Pet Gazette feature story by George Sommers on the importance of sleep to your pet bird. See Page 10.
- Petco no no: A line of chewable dog toys designed to look like a scarlet macaw is ruffling some feathers in the parrot loving world.
- Oh, kaka: Kakarikis, iconic native Australian parrots, have vanished from large portions of northern Australia where they were once common; due to predation by possums, rats and other introduced predators. -- And in more bad news, the Great Cocky Count, one of Australia’s largest citizen science surveys involving 600 volunteers in 300 locations, recorded only 5500 Carnaby's black cockatoos returning to their night-time roosts in the Perth and nearby Peel region, against 6700 counted in 2010.
-Pollytics '16: One of the most time honored disses in politics is to accuse an opponent of being a "parrot", i.e. an empty headed chatterbox only capable of copying. (Of course, we parrot owners know better.) A headline for the conservative site Red State.com reads Republican candidate NJ Gov.Chris "Christie parrots leftwing talking points to attack Ted Cruz."
- House of hoarders: Cockatiels. lovebirds and at least one macaw and cockatoo were among 42 birds rescued from "deplorable conditions" along with 3 degus and a rabbit last week by the Humane Society of Huron Valley, MI. “The owner claimed a few of the birds were ‘rescues.’ However, it appears most were used in breeding for profit, yet without regard for the animals’ welfare or even her own. Fortunately, the owner surrendered all of the animals to us,” said Matt Schaecher, HSHV’s Chief Operating Officer. “The majority of our shelter’s housing is for four-legged animals,” says Krista Donohoo, HSHV’s Adoptions Manager. “So we’ve had to get creative in finding housing for forty-two birds. We’re thankful we are able to provide temporary space that is clean and roomy, but it’s a very full house here.”
- Don't call me yellow shouldered Amazon when I'm really a yellow-headed Amazon. The diff? YSA's lack any red feathers in their yellow shoulders, while YHA's usually have more extensive yellow on their heads.
- Quote o' the week: "I never married because there was no need. I have three pets at home, which answers the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog which growls every morning, a parrot which swears all afternoon. and a cat that comes home late at night," Marie Corelli; best-selling British novelist who lived from 1855 to 1924.
- Feather facts: Feathers keep birds from getting soaked in the rain.Interlocking barbs and barbules lock out water, and oil from the preen gland makes feathers more water repellent. Never use soap on a bird unless they are covered in something oily or sticky that won't come off with plain water. When using soap, the best brand is Dawn dish washing soap, the one usually with a picture of wildlife. Dilute in warm water, and pour gradually on affected areas, allowing it to soak in and dissolve the grease. The bird will have to be rinsed repeatedly to make sure that all of the soap is gone.
- Obit: Aussie aviculturist, Mick Blake. Mick and his wife Karin shared a passion for birds that was known throughout Oz and beyond and together they built up a collection of birds at their home, Karmic Aviaries in Baree, QLD.
- Vitamin D may be the key to bolstering the numbers of the 125 kakapos left in the world. Kākāpō breed only in years when the local trees are full of fruit, used feed to chicks; including Rimu, which a new study has revealed produces berries rich in vitamin D – a nutrient essential for laying eggs and the growth of chicks.
- Hot dates:
11/6-8: American Cockatiel Society's 38th Annual Specialty Show and
Society Of Parrot Breeders And Exhibitors 30th Annual Specialty Show Free. Public welcome.Quality Inn 151 N. Douglas Ave., Altamonte Springs, FL
11/7-8: New Jersey Family Pet Show - Garden State Convention Center, 50 Atrium Drive, Somerset, NJ - Sat 10-7, Sun 10-5
Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair - Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA - 9-4 pm both days
11/7: Paint like an artist and benefit Lazicki's Bird House & Rescue! Skilled instructor will demonstrate the steps to create your own version of an art piece. 12-2:30 p.m. Muse Paintbar, 117 N. Main St., Providence, RI. Visit lazibirds.org for details
Texas Bird Breeders and Fanciers Association Fall Bird Fair and Show.Longest running bird show in Texas. 9-4. Mayborn Convention Center, Temple,. TX.
Normal Avian Behavior class with Leslie Sinn, DVM. How bird behavior affects bird care. Grace Presbyterian Church, 10-12. 7434 Bath St., Springfield, VA
South Eastern Massachusetts Canary Club Annual Show - Liberal Club, 20 Star St., Fall River, MA - 10-5
11/14-15: Canadian Parrot Conference - Featuring Barbara Heidenreich speaking on “Scirocco the Kakapo” and “Addressing Screaming”. Holiday Inn Guelph, 601 Scottsdale Dr., Guelph, Ontario, Canada - Sat 9-5 pm, Sun 9-5
11/14: Toy making with Concetta: As Halloween passes, it's time to think about... Christmas. American Federation for Aviculture northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo fills in for Santa at this special toy making instruction class. Toy parts will be provided but participants are encouraged to bring and recycle pieces from old toys. 2 p.m. Schenectady County Library, 99 Clinton St., Schenectady, NY.
The Parrot Club Birdie Bash - Veterans Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT - 10-4
Positive Reinforcement Training Class, 2 p.m. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville. NC
Things I wish I'd Known. A comprehensive parrot care class for the new and experienced alike. 11-1. Pender County Library, 75 Library Dr., Hampstead, NC
Atlanta Pet Expo - Georgia International Convention Center, 2000 Convention Center Concourse, Atlanta, GA- 10-6
Caring for the Whole Parrot. Class. 11-1 First and St. Stephen's United Church of Christ, 6915 York Rd. Towsen, MD.
11/15: Parrot 101 class. 2 p.m. Parrot University Pineville Towne Market at 321 So. Polk Street. Pineville, NC
- Lost: Goffin's cockato 'Pinky' Brooksville Florida.Very shy.☎ (352) 678-9354 -- Lost Green quaker parrot, Raleigh, NC She can fly very well and is very friendly.email:thfwb 5294545013@comm -- Lost: Parrot, Charter Oak/San Dimas/South Glendora, CA (626) 523-3006