Funny Male Dog Names Inspired by Movie Characters
For new dog owners, choosing an appropriate name for a puppy can be a challenge. It is nearly as important as naming our own children. A name can define a person’s character and the image one portrays to the rest of the world. The same holds true for our faithful furry friends on a leash.
Some thorough name research should be done beforehand in order to give your dog a “leg up” when competing with other canines in the doggy-dog race of life. One way to accomplish this feat is to name your superstar pooch after a famous fictional character from a movie.
Below is a compilation of popular fictitious characters from a number of different films and blockbusters. Go through each category list and vote for the funny dog names that you would most likely to choose for your own puppy!
Male Dog Names Inspired by Sci-Fi Movies
- Darth Vader – for black-haired heavy panting pups who prefer “the dark side” of the house – as opposed to the areas that have better lighting
- Han Solo – for cocky pooches that are more stubborn and self-reliant
- Chewbacca or “Chewy” – for louder furry dogs that have a habit of chewing on sofa cushions and table corners
- Yoda – if your dog is smarter than the average mutt and barks in irregular sentence patterns
- R2-D2 – appropriate for two sibling puppies that enjoy sniffing through garbage cans
- C-3PO – a good name for the third big brother sibling – especially if he is a bit lankier and golden
Which name from Star Wars would you choose for your dog?
- Spock – for loyal unemotional canines with pointy ears
- Captain James T. Kirk – for hounds lacking fear
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard – for hounds lacking hair
- Geordi La Forge – if your dog requires prescription lenses
- Worf – it must be a bulldog with brawn
- Data – reserved only for dedicated Star Trek: The Next Generation fans
Which name from Star Trek would you choose for your dog?
- Megatron – for yappy pups who want to stir the pot and make a mess
- Optimus Prime – for trucker pups who want to stop the stirring and keep the peace
- Ironhide – appropriate for grumpy dogs most likely live past 30
- Hound – enough said
- Grimlock – if you were forced to pick a Dinobot
- Witwicky – if you aren’t a big fan of naming your pride and joy after a robot
Which name from Transformers would you choose for your dog?
Other Sci-Fi Movies
- HAL (2001: A Space Odyssey) – for dog Cyclopes with obsessive control issues
Do you know a dog named HAL?
Male Dog Names Inspired by Batman, Superman and Stallone Movies
- Krypton – for green-eyed dogs who were born out of the country
- Joker – for smiley pooches who aren’t “so serious”
- General Zod - if your dog has anger issues and a fetish for shiny black leather
- Lex Luthor – if you arrived late at the dog store and all the little Superman outfits were sold out
- Rambo – for dogs who aren’t very good at following their owner’s orders
- Rocky – ideal if he loves to run up stairs and occasionally trains in the snow
- Ivan Drago – for strong Russian breeds who like to have a lot of juice
Which name would you choose for your dog?
More Male Dog Names for Your Puppy
- Spartacus – for courageous pups who fight to free all other puppies from their collars
- Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator) – similar, but more appropriate for triplets
- Tony Montana (Scarface) – for Al Pacino fans who wished their dog were a bit more “badass”
- Serpico – ditto
- Dirty Harry – for unsanitary dogs who are always “feeling lucky”
- Snake Plissken (Escape from New York) – for puppies in eye patches that want to escape the backyard
- El Mariachi (Desperado) – for musically gifted Chihuahuas
- Hans Gruber (Die Hard) – for German Shepherds who, if they could speak English, would always refer to their owners as “Mister Cowboy” or “Miss McLean”
- Keyser Soze (Usual Suspects) – for cunning terriers who avoid exhausting jog workouts with their athletic owners by faking a bad limp
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) – for hounds with big appetites
Which name would you choose for your dog?
A great gift idea for your dog!
Of course the list of funny male dog names could go on forever, but we were forced to stop at the doctor. If you have any other suggestions for fictional characters to name a dog after, please add them in the comment area.
Don’t forget to fill out the multiple-choice questionnaires above and compare your answers with others in the community. You never know. Your online neighbors may want to name their furry little Saint Bernard “Chewbacca” too!
In Part II of this article, we feature more funny dog names inspired by female movie characters. Are you looking for a female dog and looking to find a great name to match? Click the link above for some ideas and vote on your favorite names!