Great Beginner Pets: Reptiles
Reptiles can make great pets when token care of correctly. Each reptile requires a certain enclosure and food. Each one is different, so please do your research before you adopt or buy one. Pet store associates do not always be specific of their needs, so do further research. Reptiles can carry salmonella but only in the feces. So unless you are eating their poop, you will not get salmonella. Always have supervision if your child is handling a reptile. They can and will bite if threatened. Some reptiles like to be held and some don't. I'm going to list three of them that do like to be handled and have the easiest care. Each of the pros and cons I am about to list, are not all of the pros and cons. These are pros and cons from my personal experience.
Leopard geckos are great if you care for them properly. They do have certain enclosure requirements and can be very friendly creatures. Never use sand while housing a leopard gecko, because they will not live that long and can become sick. Now with that being said, let's go into the pros and cons about owning one.
- They can live for a long time.
- They are not expensive to feed.
- You can handle them, if done gently with supervision.
- They come in different colors. (Morphs)
- They will become attached to their owners.
- Can become your best friend if treated the right way.
- No shots required
-Minimal space required for housing.
- Can't get fleas.
- You need a vet, which can be expensive.
- Will need a 20 Gallon tank, which can be heavy.
- You will need to clean up their poop every other day.
- They do eat bugs. This can be a good thing or a bad thing for you.
- You do have to clean the whole tank once a month and this can be difficult.
- Can get salmonella if you eat their poop. I don't know why you would, but it can happen.
Bearded dragons are companion animals. They get very attached to their owners and they love to be held. They will lay on your lap and watch television with you. This type of reptile is great to own, but they do require a 55 gallon tank.
- Awesome companion animals.
- Love to be held.
- Can live awhile.
- Not too much requirements.
- They eat fruit and veggies.
- Need space for huge tank. This can be a good thing or a bad thing.
- Need to clean up stinky poop often and it is large poop.
- Need to clean tank often.
- Eat bugs. This can be a bad thing or a good thing.
- Does require UVB lighting which can be expensive.
A crested gecko is a great beginner pet. They are very sweet and simple to take care of. They do have special requirements, so make sure you do your research. This is a tropical species so they will need to be sprayed off twice a day.
- Cheap to feed and they do eat powdered fruit called, Pangea, which can last awhile.
- Can be held if you are gentle.
- There are different colors or morphs to choose from.
- Simple daily care.
- Need to clean up poop once a week.
- Will need a vertical tank and it can be expensive.
- They can eat bugs. This can be good or bad for you if you don't like bugs.
- Does require fake plants to cover tank which can be expensive.
Which reptile are you thinking about owning?
© 2017 Brittany Banks