- Pets and Animals
A Dog As a Pet
Puppies Need To Be Trained
703 Breeds of Purebreed Dogs
Dogs are extremely loyal and affectionate. They love it when their owners give them attention, and they love going for long walks with their owners. They also love going for a ride in a car with their owners. Humans have kept dogs as pets for over 12 000 years, and it’s also quite interesting that dogs are mentioned in the Bible 14 times. Dogs are natural pack animals, and there are 703 breeds of purebred dogs. Dogs love to please their owners, and they love being praised.
Any Dog Can Bite
A dog likes being stroked on its cheeks, shoulders, neck or chest. There are some dogs that don’t like to be patted on the head, because they find it irritating and frightening. The fastest some humans can run, is just over 30 kilometers per hour, and a large dog can run at between 40 and 45 miles per hour, so don’t ever try to outrun a dog if it chases you. Even a little Chihuahua will be able to overtake you. Even if it goes against your instinct, the best would be to stop and stand like a statue, and when the dog moves away, walk slowly backwards, till you’re a safe distance from it. It’s by far the safest thing to do. Any dog can bite, so always be wary of a strange dog.
Caring For Your Dog
- Female dogs bear their young for 60 days before they’re born.
- When it comes to choosing a puppy, look for one with a damp nose, and bright eyes. These are signs of good health.
- It takes eight weeks for puppies to be weaned.
- For their first few weeks, they sleep 90% of the day.
- Their eyes only open fully when they’re about 12 days old. They are so playful, and they have an unrestrained zest for life.
- Dalmation puppies are completely white when they are born.
- The largest breed of dog is the Irish Wolfhound.
- The smallest dog breed in the world is the Chihuahua.
- The heaviest dog breed in the world is the St Bernard.
- The tallest dog breed in the world is the Great Dane.
- All dogs are direct descendants of wolves.
- They’re intelligent creatures, and you can teach your dog a couple of tricks, but it takes a whole lot of patience, and persistence.
- Spending time with your dog is also an excellent opportunity for you to bond with your dog.
- Dogs need to be fed properly, and they need fresh water to drink, and they also need proper shelter.
Such A Fancy Dog
The Smartest Dogs
The smartest dogs in the world are thought to be :
- The Border Collie,
- The Poodle,
- The Golden Retriever.
- The fastest dogs on earth are the Greyhounds, and they run at great speeds of up to 45 miles per hour.
- Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic. A Newfoundland, a Pomeranian, and a Pekingese.
- A dog’s sense of smell is more than 100 000 times stronger than that of humans, and their sense of hearing is more than 10 times more acute than a human’s.
- When they are a year old, they are as mature, physically, as a 15 year old human
- Their nose prints are as unique as a human’s finger prints, and can be used to correctly identify them.
- The U.S. is the country with the highest dog population, and France is the country with the 2nd highest.
- Rin Tin Tin, the first Hollywood dog star, really signed all 22 of his movie contracts with a pawprint.
Much Loved Collies
Collies are very energetic, which should make them excellent jogging companions. They have great personalities. The different types of Collies are : The Smooth Collies, The Rough Collies, The Border Collies, The Bearded Collies, and the Shetland Sheepdogs (originally known as the Shetland Collie). Collies originated in Scotland, around 350 years ago. During those times, herding animals were what they were mostly used for. These days, some farmers are also using them for herding, because Collies are fantastic herding dogs. They are also sometimes used as tracking, and as search and rescue dogs. Most people know the famous Lassie. Lassie, who is a rough Collie, helped to make the Collie one of the most popular breed types in the world. Collies really are marvellous dogs, and they make such delightful pets.
Shiny Coats Need Regular Brushing
Bathing Your Dog
- When you bath your dog, use warm water, and make sure that the tub is big enough.
- The water should never be too hot. Place your dog in the tub, and use a damp cloth to wash his head and ears.
- Then, using dog shampoo, wash from its front to its back, and top to bottom.
- Keep its eyes and ears free from shampoo. After that, you can rinse your dog, and dry it thoroughly.
- Brushing its coat regularly, will keep it healthy and clean.
The Sweet Natured Bulldog
These bow-legged, wrinkly-faced dogs are dearly loved by many people all over the world. They tend to be gentle, and they have a strong built. The skulls of Bulldogs are large. Their legs are short, and their bodies are wide. They are one of the most popular dog breeds in the world. Most Bulldogs cannot swim. During the 1800’s the bull part of the Bulldogs name was applied when these dogs were bred to fight bulls. This common blood sport was known as Bull baiting. It was quite barbaric. Fortunately, during 1835, with the Cruelty to Animals Act, this sport was made illegal. Bulldogs have average intelligence. They are able to run up to 15 kilometers per hour. Some sports teams and universities use Bulldogs as mascots. The only French Bulldog, whose name was Gamin de Pycombe, was aboard the Titanic, and when the ship sunk, he went down with it. Many celebrities are owners of Bulldogs. Many airlines now ban Bulldogs from flights, because of the fact that Bulldogs have suffered the most airline deaths due to their respiratory/heat regulation issues. If you absolutely have to fly with your Bulldog, and you manage to get airline clearance, you can ensure your beloved pet’s safety by taking cool water along, and also by using other cooling methods. Take one look at a Bulldog, and you’ll know why they’re wonderful family pets.
Such Gentle Pets
Teaching Dogs Tricks
Two dog owners were arguing about whose dog was the smartest. The first owner said boastfully, “My dog is so smart that he waits for the paper boy to come every morning. He tips the paper boy and then brings the newspaper to me, along with my early morning coffee." ”Oh, I know,” said the second owner. The first owner looked at him, and asked with surprise, “How do you know ?” The second owner smiled in an amused way, and said, “My dog told me.”
Dogs live for 15-20 years, and some people are quite attached to their pets. I know of an old dog who jumps up and chases its own tail around and around with so much vigor as soon as he hears his favorite song being played over the radio. It only stops chasing its own tail when the song stops playing. Then it goes and lays down contentedly in the corner, and falls asleep. Some people say that you can never teach an old dog new tricks. I think they’re wrong. Woof ! Woof !
Factors To Consider When Buying A Dog
- When buying a dog, there are several factors to consider.
- Think about the size of the dog you want to get, the energy level of the dog, and the age of the dog.
- Maybe you would like to get a tiny lap dog that you can carry around with you, or maybe you would prefer a much larger dog.
- Just remember that if you do get a larger dog you will need a bigger yard.
- Also important to remember is that some dogs need obedience training.
- You will need to spend some time with your dog, and in doing so, you will start to bond with your dog.