How to Battle Pet Hair (And Win)
Picture this: You come home from a long, tiring day at work. All you want to do is relax on the couch and unwind. You plop down on the couch, only to be greeted by an explosion of pet hair into the air. Not to worry, there are a few easy fixes to help you cope with your furry critter and give you a clean house that you will want to come home to.
1. Leather furniture is your friend. The hair will slide off of the leather and onto the floor for easier cleanup and less opportunity for the hair to be transferred to your clothes. As long as you keep your critter's nails trimmed you won't have to worry about scratches in the leather.
2. Use de-shedding shampoo and/or conditioner on your pet. This will help loosen some of the undercoat. If you have a cat that doesn't like baths, there are many waterless treatments available as well.
3. Get your pet professionally groomed. Many groomers have shedless treatments that can help reduce excess shedding.
4. Use a deshedding brush. I personally recommend using the FURminator deshedding tool and the Oster Shedzilla deshedding tool. While the FURminator tends to pull out more hair, the edges of the tool can irritate the skin of the animal if used too often. The Oster Shedzilla has curved teeth that will not scratch the skin. I use the FURminator at the beginning of the week for about twenty minutes and then the Oster for touch up brushing throughout the remaining week. (Tip: It's best to use these brushes outside. You will be surprised with how much hair these brushes can get.)
5. Buy a good vacuum, and use it. Preferably, buy one made specifically for animal hair. Pet hair has a tendency to clog vacuums that aren't designed with pet hair in mind.
6. To help your vacuum pick up the hair, sprinkle Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh Odor eliminator on your carpet before vacuuming. Allow it to sit on your carpet for fifteen minutes. Not only does the powder help lift away the pet hair, but it also has the added bonus of leaving your carpet smelling fresh!
7. Purchase an air purifier. Not only are they great for cleaning allergens and bacteria from the air, but buying one with a good air filter and powerful intake fan will help with pet hair as well.
By following these easy pet hair tricks, you will find that it's possible to battle pet hair and actually win.