How to Keep Your Dog Safe in the Fall
Most of us love the the change in the weather as the year comes to an end. We get a break from the heat, and we can take our dogs out to play a little longer. However, there are some things you can do to protect your dog that might not have been aware of.
Watch for Mushrooms
Autumn is known for its subtle dropping temperatures and the changing colors of the leaves. As the colder seasons begin to introduce themselves, there is less sunlight; plants begin to wither away and die, or shed their leaves and go dormant so that they can survive the winter. All this dead matter on the ground begins to grow mold and form mushrooms!
Most mushrooms actually aren’t harmful to dogs, but the one percentage that are can cause serious harm to your pet. Since it’s not very easy to tell which ones are safe, it’s best that your dog isn’t allowed to consume mushrooms at all.
Antifreeze and Coolant
It’s no secret that toward the end of Autumn is usually when we start to see people have car troubles. The radiator ends up with a crack or a hole and before you know it, chemicals are leaking onto the driveway and the sidewalk.
Sadly, dogs will often sniff and lick antifreeze off the ground, and even though it may taste strange some pets won’t find it terrible. They’ll continue to lick or drink enough of it until the amount in their body becomes fatal.
If you notice piles of leaves lying around in neighboring yards, it could be more than just a regular raking. People who garden love to create their own compost piles in the fall, so they mix diet, dead grass, leaves, egg shells, and old veggies. As it rots, the matter creates a rich soil; however, in order to do this the pile produces mold and bacteria.
Dogs have relatively strong tummies, but eating compost can make them very ill! So keep them away from strange piles, and don’t let them eat dead leaves.
Pick Up Fallen Fruit In Your Yard
Owners with fruit bearing trees should try to keep their lawn clear of any apples, cherries, or berries that hit the ground. Rotting vegetation also serves as another form of mold growth. While your dog probably won’t need veterinary care in most cases, they may have a bad case of diarrhea.
Chocolate and Candy
Trick-Or-Treaters and adults alike love chocolate around this time of year, and it’s not uncommon for them to end up on the ground. Chocolate, and a sweetener called xylitol are both very dangerous for your dog, so be on the lookout.