How to Take Great Pet Photos
Do you love funny dog pictures? Perhaps you enjoy browsing the web for quirky pet photos so you can be inspired with ideas for your own pet pics. If you are interested in taking unique pet photos of your own, but are not sure how to get started, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Have patience-Animals, even when well-trained, are not the easiest of photo subjects. Be prepared to take numerous shots before getting “the one”.
- Think about composition-Be sure to use the camera’s viewfinder to determine if there are any items in the background or corners of the viewfinder that would take away from the photo. Keep the background colors simple so that viewers will focus on the subject rather than the beautiful artwork on the wall behind your pet. A solid colored background will draw the attention to your subject much better. (A Dalmatian on a polka dot background might be a bit much…)
- Be sure to have pet treats readily available to reinforce positive behavior. A happy pet will be more responsive.
- When at all possible, don’t use a flash as this frequently causes red-eye. Rather, use natural lighting and don’t take photos where your animal is looking directly at the camera.
- Don’t look down at your pet, even though they are generally much smaller than people. Rather, get down to their level or elevate them to yours. Oftentimes props like benches, baskets or even a table top are the best way to handle this.
- Like taking children’s photos, often a squeaky toy will get their attention and allow you to get a great shot. The more candid and natural the shot looks the better.
- Have patience! Staying calm, despite wanting the perfect shot…now, will help the animal to relax and render much better pictures.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different camera angles and lighting. After all, with the many abilities of today technology, there is no limit to how you can manipulate a picture to be interesting while still maintaining the integrity of the photos subject.
Pet photography is a fun hobby that can often be turned into a business. Take some time to explore this fun photo field. You may find that it is just the way to relax and enjoy yourself while spending some time with your favorite animal friend.