10 Human Foods Good for Dog with Diarrhea and Upset Stomach
Diarrhea in dogs and Symptoms of diarrhea
Diarrhea is a most common canine complaint that varies in frequency, extent and intensity from dog to dog. Usually Diarrhea is caused, because of infections and disease and the initial symptom of dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Also the table food or germs can afflict the dog with Diarrhea. It’s not easy to prevent your dig from diarrhea, but early recognition and initial care can help to prevent and cure your dog from diarrhea. Every dog owner should know the symptoms of diarrhea and the initial care to be taken, in case of diarrhea. These are the common symptoms of diarrhea in dogs,
- Stopped Eating
- Gazes to be in pain or feeling lethargic and inactive
- Prompt weigh loss
- Looks Distressed or have Fever and shivering
- Vomiting frequently
- Detected mucus or blood in stool
Causes for Dog's diarrhea and Upset stomach
If you observe the Symptoms of Diarrhea in your dog, then you need to take initial care and precautions. The instant cure, you should stop feeding the regular food and give table food in less amount (Only, in case of diarrhea) and consult your vet. These are the common reason for diarrhea in dogs,
- Bacterial infection
- Viral infection
- Allergic reaction
- Viral fever
- High stress
- Digestive problems
- Due to parasites like roundworms or tapeworms
- Toxic or poisonous foods
- Overeaten or over exercised
Initial Care and Precautions
When dogs are suffering from upset stomach or diarrhea, they need more care and your attention. Also, you should take initial care during an incident of diarrhea. These are initial care and precautions that you should take,
- Warm Bath
Be sure that your dog doesn’t have a fever.
Then only give him a warm bath and clean with a soft towel. But never give a bath, if the dog is suffering from fever or shivering.
- Keep on Fasting
Keep your on fasting for 12 -14 hours, but provide adequate amount of fresh water.
Water consumption helps the dog to cure dehydration.
You can give coconut water during fasting that help to recover from dehydration and is a good source for instant energy also.
- Start with, White Rice Water
After keeping him on fast for 12 -15 hours, you can give white rice water in limited (20-25% of his regular diet) amount.
White rice water is easily digestible and good to cure stomach pain.
- Start Feeding, after 24 hours
Observe your dog for 24 hours, if your dog is recovering and comfortable than earlier, then you can start feeding. But the quantity should be approx. half of his regular diet.
- No Physical Exercise
Any physical exercise like long walks, running, chasing, jumping or playing with another dog is harmful and must be detained.
- Only bland diet
Do not feed regular food. Feed only bland diet, till the dog is completely recovered.
1. White Rice
Dehydration is a common anxiety, for the dogs suffering with upset stomach or diarrhea and they need the food that helps them to cure dehydration.
Feeding white rice is a good option to cure dehydration that is easily digestible and help the dogs to be hydrated. White rice contains soluble fiber that absorbs water that was passing through the GI track during dehydration and that helps the dogs to stabilize the stool.
1st. RICE WATER
- Boil a tea cup white rice in 4 tea cup water, for 20- 30 minutes (until it became pasty and creamy white).
- But do not add salt or sugar, you can add a tablespoon chicken powder to make it tasty.
- Don’t serve him warm rice water, wait till it turned at normal.
2nd: White rice and cooked chicken
- You can feed the small amount of cooked rice.
(2-3 tablespoon for small dogs and 5-7 for bigger dogs).
- To cook the chicken rice - Add cooked (boiled) chicken with rice but remember the amount of chicken must be the half of rice.
- You can continue this food, till you see some progress in your dog or dog id fully cured.
3rd. Rice meal - [Rice + Pumpkin + chicken + yogurt]
- Ingredients – 1: Plain boiled chicken, 2: Plain yogurt 3: Boiled pumpkin.
- Ratio of Ingredients:
Around 50% amount of boiled rice and rest 50% ingredient can be any one, two or all three ingredients.
- The amount of food:
For a small dog 3-4 tablespoon is sufficient and for large dogs you can give 5-8 tablespoon.
Pumpkin is another good option to feed for the dogs suffering from constipation or upset stomach.
- Pumpkin is a rich source for soluble fiber” and water contents that helps to delay gastric emptying and slowing down GI transit times (and the number of episodes of diarrhea).
- It also helps to increase dog's stool and an easily digestible food that delivers instant energy.
1st: canned pumpkin
Give 1-2 cup of Canned pumpkin, it provides about 80 calories and 7 grams of soluble fiber per cup.
2nd. cooked RICE + boiled smashed pumpkin
Boil a tea cup white rice and a teacup pumpkin piece. Don’t serve warm food, wait till it comes at normal temperature, don’t add salt, sugar or any flavor.
Need for mixing other ingredients?
Dogs have an advanced sense and instinct of expression. If you will change their regular food with rice or pumpkin, then usually they won’t admit an unexpected change.
You need to know, about the other ingredients that you can add in their meal except chicken or pumpkin. Also, you can make some of these ingredients their full meal for a day or twice.
Find the list below, the other ingredients that you can mix.
3. Mashed Potatoes
Potato is a good source of vitamins C and B6, potassium, magnesium and fiber and good for dogs, if consumed occasionally.
- Boiled and mashed potato is a good food for the dogs, suffering from stomach problems.
But it contains sugar and starch and can develop extra fat and weight gain to your dog and not good to make his regular diet.
You can add boiled and mashed potatoes to his meal, in case of diarrhea or stomach problems but don't substitute peeled and boiled, mashed potato instead of rice recipes, you can mix with boiled rice.
4. Boiled and Mashed Carrot
Carrot is an excellent source of vitamin A that also contains the good amount of vitamins K and C, fiber and potassium. It is a good alternate food for the dogs, suffering with diarrhea or digestion problems. But you must remove the end part of carrot and wash it thoroughly before serving.
Some dogs do not take raw carrots, for them you can give cooked carrot.
- Cut the carrot into pieces, mix with rice and cook that.
- Another option is, boil and mash the carrot and give mashed carrot. Or mix it with cooked rice and give.
5. Baked and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are the richest source of vitamin A. and also contains vitamins C, B6 and B5, manganese, potassium and fiber. And a good option to give to a dog with diarrhea. But do not feed raw sweet potatoes,
- Feed only baked and mashed Sweet potatoes.
- Another option is, cut the sweet potatoes into quarters and boil, about 20 minutes and mash in potato masher.
6. Boiled Egg
Eggs are the most nutritious food that contains a good amount of protein and vitamins.
- Usually every dog loves that, but you should avoid feeding raw egg that can cause hair and skin problems and if the dog is suffering from stomach problems, then feeding raw egg is harmful and a can be dangerous.
- But boiled egg is good for dogs and if the dog is suffering from diarrhea, then occasionally you can give boiled egg, mixed with cooked rice.
Some veterinarians are against feeding yogurt for dogs. But that’s controversial and many vets suggest giving that to the dogs and the pet owner who are feeding yogurts to their dogs do not have any complaints.
- But if the dog is suffering from stomach problems or with diarrhea, then yogurt is definitely a good food for them.
Yoghurts contain probiotic benefits and good for intestinal health that help nutritionally to control diarrhea.
Yogurts carrying active bacteria act like a probiotic and are good for dog’s digestive system, but you should not add salt, sweet or flavored chemicals.
Oatmeal is a great source of soluble fiber that helps to delay gastric emptying and slowing down and to increase dog’s stool. It's most useful for senior dogs with bowel irregularity issues. Also, it’s an anti-allergic grain that helps to control dog’s gastric problems.
- But raw or half cooked oatmeal can be dangerous to your dog, especially when he is suffering from diarrhea.
- So you must give him well cooked oatmeal without adding sugar or flavor essences.
9. Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese contains high amount of protein and fat and a good for the dog, suffering with diarrhea or digestive problems.
- Many vet recommends to feed Cottage Cheese, only if mixed with cooked white rice.
- And that too only when a dog is suffering from diarrhea, also it’s a good food to cure the bowel problems in dogs.
But this recipe goes wrong for some of the dogs, which are lactose effected. Even they are very few can say, approx less than 1%. But any cheese ingredients are not good and recommended for lactose affected dogs.
Watermelon is a healthy summer fruit good for dogs and as well as humans.
It contains low fat and calories, but a good amount of nutrients and vitamins like Vitamin A, B6, and C, and potassium.
Remember when serving to your dog, you must remove the seeds that can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs.
Also watermelon is a good source for hydration that doesn’t contain cholesterol.
It’s good for dogs, suffering with stomach disputes or diarrhea and a natural source to keep your dog cool and hydrated in hot temperature or in summer season.
- Watermelon is good to feed occasionally to any dog but the seeds must be removed.
You may like to know which food is not good to give , if your dog is suffering from diarrhea?
Also, it's equally important to know what you should not serve. Because there are many foods that is good to give him in normal scenario, but you must not give, if your dog is suffering from diarrhea or stomach problem. You may refer this article to know about such human foods,
© 2016 ARADHYA