- Pets and Animals
Is it Okay to Let Your / My Dogs Sleep on Your Bed?
So is it okay to let your dogs sleep on your bed? A controversial subject by all accounts, as there appears to be two schools of thought, the one that thinks going to sleep with your beloved dog snuggled up next to you is wonderful and perfectly acceptable, and the other which thinks there is no way dogs should be allowed on your bed and they should have their own bed elsewhere. I will confess that I fall into the former category, and although I don't have a dog right now, in the past when I have had they have always slept on my bed, and I have slept better as a result. Sadly our current landlord does not allow dogs, but he does allow cats. Right now I frequently go to sleep with two cats curled up on the bed with me and it feels just great.
In this hub I want to list the various arguments both for and against allowing your dogs to sleep on the bed, and then ask you to decide whether or not you think it is okay to to let dogs sleep with you. Before you go rushing to the end of this hub in order to vote, please read the content thoroughly in order to form a fair opinion, after all, if you were on a jury you wouldn't decide on your verdict without first having heard all the evidence.
Remember it doesn't make you a villain if you don't allow your dogs to sleep on your bed, although personally I don't think it is fair to get a pet dog and keep it outside. Many people only allow their dogs to sleep in the kitchen or even the utility or boot room overnight, and this is acceptable because the dogs are sheltered and warm, but are you missing out by not allowing those same dogs to share your bed? Likewise if you do allow your dogs on your bed overnight, then would there be advantages to be gained for all of you by making your dogs sleep in their own bed rather than on yours?
Why is it Okay to Let Your Dog or Dogs Sleep on Your Bed?
Remember many of these thoughts listed are just based on opinions, sometimes my own and sometimes other people's. You have to draw your own conclusions as to whether you agree with them or not.
- It is a known fact that stroking dogs or even being close to them is good for lowering blood pressure and relaxing people. This is one of the reasons why there are often programs in place where dogs are either taken around hospital beds to visit very ill patients, or old people's residential homes to visit the senior citizens.
- Dogs make a great hot water bottle on a chilly night.
- It is comforting to snuggle up to an animal knowing it is a loving and loyal companion, (especially if you are single).
- Having a dog on your bed makes you feel safe.
- So long as you groom and bathe your dog regularly there should be no problems with smells, hairs or hygiene so why not sleep with your dog on or in the bed.
- It stops children being scared of the dark or from having nightmares if the dog sleeps with them.
- So long as dogs are treated regularly for fleas and worms, there should be no risk of parasites being transferred.
- If the dog has no dominance issues anyway allowing him to sleep on the bed does not cause pack seniority problems.
- Dogs are family members so why ban them from sleeping on the bed.
Why Isn’t it Okay to Let Your Dog or Dogs Sleep on Your Bed?
As with the case for allowing your dogs to sleep on the bed, this is only a list of opinions, and you still need to decide for yourselves if you agree with them or not before deciding which way to vote.
- Dogs are dirty and smelly so they should not be allowed on your bed.
- Dogs should sleep outside.
- The dog will see itself as equal to you in the pack if you allow it to sleep on your bed which can lead to discipline problems.
- A dog should be restricted to rooms like the kitchen to ensure the house stays clean.
- How can a dog properly guard the house if it is on your bed and not near the entrances to the property?
- It is unhygienic to sleep with your dog because they carry parasites and diseases that we can catch from them.
- You'll wake up smelling doggy.
- The dog hairs get everywhere, on the bedding, up your nose etc.
- Your spouse gets annoyed if you suggest letting the dog sleep on the bed.
- Having a dog on the bed interferes with a couple's love life.
- One person might prefer to cuddle the dog rather than their partner if the dog is allowed to sleep on their bed. This can lead to arguments, and even serious jealousy on occasion.
Do you think it is okay to let your dogs sleep on your bed with you?
Where does your dog sleep?
Just for Laughs
© 2012 Cindy Lawson