- Pets and Animals
Personal Suggestions When Leaving Pets behind, Temporarily.
I am living alone and I have a work that gives good income which I use to provide for my dogs. At present I only have 2 dogs, Peso the dog in this article already died June of 2016, exactly one month before his 16th birthday. I came up with this article in 2010, when I needed to leave my country for three days to accompany my cousin to Singapore. My dogs are my family but there are times when I know I need to maintain my Human family too especially if they really requested me to be with them.
I wish to share personal suggestions or insights, specially for people leaving alone and for those planning to get a dog. Indeed having a pet means greater responsibilities too.
Peso My Dog I Mentioned in This Article.
Travelling Sometimes is Inevitable
First I need to define what is Inevitable travelling. It is often work related, we can't say no because it is an order from the Boss to complete a task that will benefit the business. If there are no other emergencies like death in the family, or parents seriously sick or it happened to be your wedding day, resisting a travel as work requirement is equivalent to losing your job.
If travelling is inevitable, our pets also became our major concerns. Simply because we need to assure ourselves that they will be okay, while we are not with them. Indeed providing for them is not enough. We also need to give them time when no one can attend to them aside from ourselves. Unfortunately, it is not yet recognize in the workplace, that pet can be a major reason to excuse you from travelling, not everyone can understand your affection for your dogs, therefore it is either you stay with your dog or you lose your job.
If I have my way, I really avoid out of town trips or vacation, simply because my dog Peso has an ailment that needed strict attention and care everyday. He was not the type that became comfortable easily in my absence, so getting a nanny was a very scary thing..
But it is different when you know what to do. All you need is to organize your thoughts and plan carefully. Knowing what to do may help ease the stress you feel.
It is quite hard to leave a Dog that looks at you this way
My Personal Suggestions Specially for Pet Owners Living Alone but with Pets
In case a call of duty will require you to go to a place away from home for a couple of days, or even when a relative requested you to visit them and stay with them for days, Here are my personal suggestions
- If possible bring your pets with you. If it’s a work assignment bring someone with you who can take care of your pets while you are doing your job.
- Leave your pets to someone who is not just your friend but a pet lover too. You may trust your best friend but if she’s not a dog or cat lover how can she take care of your pets without giving her much trouble and worst much trouble for your pets. Same applies if you want to leave your pets to your parents and siblings.
- Choose a Clinic that offers “Doggie Day Care”, but preferably choose one with Veterinarians and staff that already know your dog. In my case I chose Vets in Practice Clinic, because Peso is often treated in that clinic and although he did not like the veterinarians there, still he was familiar with them. And nothing beats your confidence when you know your dogs are in good hands.
- Expect to spend more. Assuring your pet’s safety is not free, if you are thinking of leaving him in a dog hotel; you will spend more or less 500/day depending on the size or weight of your pets. Even if you will leave him to someone who is an excellent dog caretaker or a trustworthy friend, you will still need to provide your pets’ food, vitamins, and grooming accessories; also you may need to include calming collar to lessen his separation anxiety. Make sure that his anti-rabies vaccination is updated if not, spend for it before you leave, this is necessary because a playful unintentional bite to the one looking after him can be very fatal. He must be treated with Anti-tick and fleas because we can never know what they can acquire in their new surroundings.
- List down everything from feeding instructions, vitamin intake schedule, grooming schedule, regular doggies stroll, how often he (your pet) poops and urinates, don’t forget to mention your pet’s behavior, is he the type to sneak around or love to run away and be chased? Because in that case you must alert the person who will look after him not to neglect your dog’s leash and collar. Give the list to those you chose to be left behind with your dogs.
- Pack all your doggy accessories ahead of time and don’t forget to include his vaccination certificate.
- As much as possible don’t volunteer for an Out of town Job assignment if you don’t have the means or the way to know with whom, or where to leave them. It is still a different story if you don’t have a choice.
- If you think your pet has behavior problems and or the type to develop separation anxiety, correcting the problem before you leave will not help, instead have more patience with them, don’t scold them when they whine while you are preparing to leave (of course our Pets knew it) Just don’t add more trauma to them, if you truly love your pets you should know what I am trying to explain here.
- If in case you found some suggestion here as too bothersome and extravagant, you always have a choice to just leave your pets at your home, and Just ask the God of Mercy, to spare your pets’ lives, that may they still be alive upon your return, and pray harder for yourself because only God knows what will happen inside your house with pets running the household for days.
- Or if worst comes to worst and you have no other options left (no more time to call friends or just don’t have the cash to spend for other pet expenses) at least leave them sufficient fresh, clean water to drink. But I do hope none of us will come to this point. This is just too cruel for your pets and for you too because it will surely bother you wherever you go and whatever you do.
- Always consider the number of days that you will be leaving your pets behind… as much as possible it should not be longer than 5 days or one week at the most. Or if your job really requires you to travel a lot, then maybe finding them a permanent loving home may never be a bad decision after all.
- And lastly, don’t think of getting a pet if having one is not your life’s real passion. Anything or someone that we consider with less value will always be placed at the backseat of our priorities, and that’s really unfair.
She is Irresistible How can I Leave Her
Like I said, I organized my thoughts and planned. It was my the first time to leave Peso after his series of surgeries so I was having second thought proceeding even though my cousin who answered almost all my expenses, already prepared for it few months ago.
A month before my departure, I am already decided that I am going to leave Peso in his Veterinary Clinic, I believe it was the safest place to leave him for they know the case of my dog, and they know his behavior.
I bought him a "Calming Collar" believing it will help lessen his separation anxiety, prepared everything that he might need,specially his favorite toy. Feeding instruction was also included because Peso had special diet.
According to the veterinarian that took care of him, Peso did not eat for three days but consistently drunk his water. and urinated inside his cage which was a good sign that nothing bad developed in his ailment while I was away, and three days without complete meal didn't really have that bad effect at all. He only lost 1 kg.
Case of other Pet Owners can be lighter than mine
Other pet owners’ situation can be a bit lighter as compared with mine because not all dogs have the same ailments as Peso, and not all dogs have the same behavior as Peso;
Therefore, leaving their dogs behind temporarily can be just a trifling matter. The only thing they need to consider is to “Where” or with “WHOM” to leave their dogs, and once they found the most trustworthy, then they can enjoy a “worry free” vacation or work out of town in full concentration and efficiency.
(In case you have more suggestions not mentioned in my list please share them with your fellow pet lovers, again let’s propagate love for animals and responsible pet ownership.)
My published article in Animal Scene Magazine for the Month of August
Animal Scene Magazine published only in the Philippines
This article was featured at Animal Scene magazine in 2010. I decided to bring the improved version at Hubpages, so that I can also share my experience to fellow dog lovers not only from Philippines but also across the world. Through Hubpages relatives and friends living abroad can read my story. After 7 years I am not sure if I can still find a copy of this magazine edition. So Thank you Hubpages for making this articles alive.
© 2010 Maria Cecilia