Bird Watching for Everyone
Birds in Flight
Male Cardinal In Winter
HD Northern cardinals feeding baby birds
The Wise Owl
Cutest owl ever: northern saw whet owl
Look To The Sky And Watch The Birds
This is a hobby which is very inexpensive and fun. It is a dual hobby in that you can enjoy the outdoors and visit your favorite travel destinations. Where you do your bird watching has much to do with the type of birds you will be seeing.
Carry a pair of binoculars, a note pad, and a pencil or pen to take notes. Bring a pocket camera for photo opportunities.
As a beginner you may want to start in your backyard. In my backyard I have observed the Florida Blue Jay, Owls, Robins, Buzzards, Woodpecker, Humming Birds, Florida Cranes, the Red Tail Hawk and other brown and black birds which I need to learn how to identify.
The Florida Crane is a rather amusing bird. It seemingly squawks to introduce its arrival or departure. Many times while I am gardening they will walk about two feet from me and observe what I am doing. Watching their mating dance is entertaining.
Should you discover that you enjoy this type of hobby it will wake up your curiosity to investigate the name of the bird, its species, colors, migration patterns, and behavior quirks.
6 Bird Watching Benefits
- Enjoyment of outdoor weather
- Exercise by walking, running, or jogging
- Photography opportunities of birds and other interests
- Note taking for writing an article or a book
- Pursue a career as an ornithologist
- Traveling around the world to pursue studying different species of birds
Bird Watching Hobby
Bird Watching is a fascinating hobby enjoyed by 50 to 75 million people worldwide. It is an enjoyable and inexpensive hobby.
Notebook and Pen
Bird Watching Field Guide
Learn to identify birds by their beak, wings, markings from head to tail, color, and its song. Carry a notebook to maintain a personal birdwatching journal along with a birdwatching field guide to help identify birds. Three additional pieces of equipment include a pair of birdwatching binoculars, audio equipment to record bird songs, and a camera. .
We all can identify the songs of chickens, owls, crows, and turkeys, just to name a few. The audio equipment is to capture the songs of unfamiliar birds or your favorite song birds.
There are hundreds of field guides to choose from. You may want to visit your local library or the Internet to see which field guide is best for you. These guides are available in book stores, department stores, online, and hobby shops.
The Songbirds Bible
A Visual Directory of 100 of the Most Popular Songbirds in North America which is written by Dr. Proctor is spiral bound book with a CD of the North American song birds. The illustrations are beautiful and the CD has helped me to identify the songs of the different birds. Great book and CD combination for beginners.
Songbirds:Field & Meadow
The Mystery Of The Missing Martins
The Purple Martin Bird and its Man made House
Bird Watching Hobby is Mystery Solving
Do you like a good mystery?
Birding offers you the wherewithal to be a detective.
- Are you able to identify this bird by its markings?
- Can you recognize the song of the individual bird?
- Do you know the size and its shape?
- How does it fly? What is its flying pattern?
- Where does it hide?
- Does this bird fly, hop, run, or a combination?
- When does the bird sing?
- What is its mating ritual?
If you have an inquiring and inquisitive mind you will enjoy birding.
Get Started with Bird Watching - How to Choose Binoculars
Bird Watching Binoculars
The recommended binoculars for bird watching are a 7 x 35 or 8x 42 power. Most of these are affordable.
Investing $100 in a pair of binoculars will usually be sufficient. If your budget will allow it you may wish to spend more. As the price of the binoculars increases, one can expect better quality performance from the lenses.
I have also discovered that if you have a good digital camera you can see and take a photo of the bird in fine detail.
Bird Watching - Family Activity
Bird Watching Apparel Tips
- Wear clothing which will be both comfortable and functional. There is no need for special attire.
- Light weight and non-restrictive clothing is great. Wear new clothing only after being laundered a few times and wear tested for comfort.
- You may wish to wear cargo pants with pockets for carrying your notebook and field guide. Belt loops can hold other types of tools which you like to have with you. There are special vests made for bird watchers designed for their needs. Or carry a backpack or a bag.
- Shoes should offer support and fit the needs of where you will be walking.
The Beautiful Countryside
Outdoor Exercise Activities
Bird watching is also an exercise activity which uses the entire body.
Watching birds will include other activities such as hiking, camping, rock climbing, fishing, boating, cave exploration, studying other wildlife, and seeing flowers, trees, and other vegetation which may or may not be available in your personal backyard or in your state of residence.
Meditation and Relaxation:
Bird watching allows people to experience solitude and the panoramic views of nature along with sounds of living creatures. Participating in the nature of mountains, plains, seas, and the desert is a chance to leave the sounds of city life and noisy neighborhoods.
Bedlam in the Bird Bath
- Personal home yards
- Bird baths and bird houses
- Pet stores
- Local zoo
- Bird Sanctuaries
- National parks and wildlife locations
- Worldwide vacation locations
As a bird enthusiast you may wish to broaden your experiences by visiting other types of habitats other than your current neighborhood. There are approximately 764 species of birds in the United States. Enjoy viewing through your binoculars rare to common species of these animals of flight.