- Pets and Animals»
- Dogs & Dog Breeds»
- Dog Food
Pumpkin Cookies for Your Pooch
Pumpkin Pet Treats
Yummy recipe for homemade pumpkin dog treats! These cookies are not only tasty, but also healthy for your pet.
The high fiber content in the pumpkin, combined with the brown rice flour, makes for a good functioning digestive system. Your dog can benefit substantially with a regular supplement of canned pumpkin added to his/her diet. It promotes good digestion, and prevents diarrhea in most cases.
Some dog breeds are prone to food allergies, particularly wheat. Using the brown rice flour gives you an allergy free treat that's easy on your pets stomach. It also makes the cookies crunchy which assists in removing tartar build up on your pets teeth.
This recipe is quick and easy. Grab the kids and make it a family fun night activity. Heck, even the dog gets in on the enjoyment. Have fun!
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 50-75 cookies, depending on size (1"-2")
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin
- 2 Tbs Dry Milk
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups Brown Rice Flour
- 1 Tsp Dried Parsley, Optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend eggs and pumpkin until smooth. A whisk or fork should work fine.
- Add dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley.
- Gradually add brown rice flour. Mix with hands or a spatula to form a dry, stiff dough.
- Lightly flour (use the brown rice flour) counter area for rolling out the dough. If dough feels too stiff, knead and press.
- Roll dough to a 1/4" or 1/2" thickness. Use bone shape cutter, or any other shape you desire, to create the cookie. Put shapes on an un-greased cookie sheet. If using a bone shaped cutter, prior to cooking, poke each bone with a fork lengthwise to get that "brand name" look.
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes, turn them over, and bake for another 20 minutes. Let cookies completely cool on a cooling rack before feeding them to your dog.
- Keep fresh in sealed container.