Why Choose a Rottweiler (or not).
- Rottweiler is one of the most intelligent breeds. According to a study on intelligence of various breeds conducted by Dr. Coren, a professor of Psychology at British Columbia University, Rottweilers fall into top ten of the smartest breeds.
Challenge #1: if you don't keep your clever powerful dog occupied and mentally busy, they will have no choice but to entertain themselves (you won't like it).
- Rottweilers are family oriented, loyal dogs. They will be the happiest when sharing time and space with their owners.
Challenge #2: This dog should not be left outside unattended for long periods of time. If you were considering a Rottweiler as an outdoor dog, you should rethink your choice. These dogs need to be with people.
- Rottweilers have an inherited need to protect.
Challenge #3: It is up to the owners to make sure that the dog has received proper socialization and is kept in check for overprotective behavior. You must be willing to train your dog on a daily basis, and to teach it to look up to you for proper reaction in uncertain situations.
- Manageable amount of shedding. Yes, you still need to brush your Rottweiler to minimize the amount of fur in the house, but it does not take up an absorbent amount of time.
Challenge #4: Rottweilers' thick and dark coat makes it easy for them to overheat. You must be vigilant on hot days.
- Rottweilers are great dogs to have fun with. You will never have to go on your daily walk alone again. There is also a variety of dog sports that Rottweilers are welcome to take part in: Shutzhund, Rally-O, Drafting and Agility are just some of the choices.
Challenge #5: This is a working breed that needs a job. Classes cost time and money, that any owner of a Rottweiler should be willing to invest in. It is crucial to the dog's happiness and the peace of everyone in the family to ensure proper amount of daily exercise.
- Rottweilers are not barkers, and drool much less than many other breeds.
This one varies from dog to dog, but holds true as an average description of a rottie.
Overall, you must be in a financially stable situation before bringing Rottweiler into your life, with enough time to exercise a massive clever dog every day of her life. There are no shortcuts in owning such a dog, and as it applies to many breeds - the rewards are numerous for the right person matched with the right dog.