- Pets and Animals»
- Dogs & Dog Breeds»
- Dog Food
Simple but Delicious Dog Treat Recipe
Carob Coated Honey and Oat Dog Treats
These delicious dog treats are simple to make and I'm sure your dog will love them!
- 170 grams (6 ounces) of oat flour
- 170 grams (6 ounces) of brown rice flour
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of oats
- 1 egg
- 125 ml (1/4 of a pint) of water
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of *carob chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 degrees fahrenheit)
- Mix everything together until you end up with a big ball of dough.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of around 7 (1/4 of an inch) and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 180 degrees celsius (350 degrees fahrenheit)
For the frosting, simply melt some *carob chips and dip the top of the cookies into the mixture. For best results, let the cookies cool first and allow the carob to dry naturally (not in the refrigerator).
* Do NOT use chocolate. This is poisonous to dogs.
Because we're using uncooked oats in this recipe, you might find that during the cutting process, the dough dries out a little and becomes difficult to roll out. Don't worry about this, it's normal, the oats sucks the moisture out of the dough. Just add a little more water to the dough.
If you want your treats to be extra crunchy, turn the oven off but leave your treats in for a couple of hours. This will 'pull' the moisture out of the cookies and make them much crunchier.
As soon as your cookies have cooled, put them in an airtight container and they'll stay fresh for a couple of weeks.
I hope your dog enjoys these treats!!
Ever thought about starting your own dog treat business? If so, you might be interested in my hub about how I started my own dog treat business