Strange and Interesting Animal Facts
Strange Behavior in Animals
- Crocodiles will sometimes swallow stones that will stay permanently in their stomach so they can dive deeper.
- A bat will always turn left when leaving a cave.
- The eyes of an ostrich are as big as billiard balls and the brain is much smaller than the eyes.
- You can lead a cow up the stairs but you won't be able to get them to come back down the stairs.
- Houseflies are recyclers in the truest sense of the word. They regurgitate their food and eat it again.
- Zebras cannot see the color orange.
- Slugs have four noses, none of which you can see.
- A snail can sleep for three years without waking up.
- Black bears are afraid of domesticated cats. The bear will run up a tree to avoid one.
- Bulls can only see in black and white.
- The armadillo can sleep or doze for about 80% of its life.
- A female anaconda is 3 to 5 times bigger than an average male anaconda.
Bizarre Animal Facts
- A mosquito has 47 teeth.
- Most cats in Halifax, Nova Scotia have six toes.
- The sweat glads of a cow are in it's nose.
- The mayfly only lives for one day.
- An ostrich's brain is smaller than its eye.
- Not only does the tiger have striped fur, it also has striped skin. Each tiger has it's own striped pattern the way humans have their own fingerprint patterns.
- A hen lays 19 dozen eggs a year on a average.
- A rat can survive longer without water than a camel can.
- The memory span of a goldfish is about 3 seconds.
- An elephant can smell water from 3 miles away.
- The largest giant squid ever found weighed about 4 tons.
leafy sea dragon | Source
Animals and Their Unique Characteristics
- The Asiatic Swift makes it nest almost entirely out of saliva. When it hardens it makes a strong and cosy nest. This is the nest that is used to make bird's nest soup.
- The Leafy Sea Dragon, a type of seahorse, has evolved leaf like fins that act as a camouflauge to give the sea dragon the appearance of a clump of floating seaweed.
- The Barreleye Fish can move its eyes around inside its head in any direction, unlike other fish who have limited eye movement. This fish'e head is transparent so it can look straight through its own head.
- The Star Nosed Mole is a samll animal, about the size of your hand. It has twenty-two tentacles protruding from its nose that helps it find the food they love - clams, snails, small rodents, mollusks and worms.
- The Canntor's Giant Soft Shelled Turtle is one of the oddest looking turtles around. If you've ever wondered what a turtle looks like without its hard shell this is a perfect example. This turtle, unlike it's cousins lives inland close to streams and the wetlands.
- The Hagfish has one of the most disgusting ways of all animals of defending itself. When it feels threatened it oozes a disgusting, suffocating slime from its pores that will envelop its predator in a mass of goo.
deep fried grasshoppers | Source
Unusual Aminal Delicacies
- Iquana meat is a favorite dish in Central and South America, especially when sauteed and then casseroled.
- Fried Grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants are both a favorite treat in Africa.
- Locust are popular fare in Asia and Africa, they say it taste like shrimp.
- Bats are grilled or deep fried are found to be served in some parts in Indonesia.
- Roasted camel is considered a treat when in North Africa and the Middle East.
- If you recieve the eyes of a roasted lamb head while dining in Saudi Araabia you can rest assured that you are considered an honored guest.
- In some parts of China you may be served country fried scorpions and dragonflies.
Hubs About Strange Animals
- Unusual Animals and Animal with Deformities.
Unusual animals: curly, bald, big, small, conjoined... you name it. This page is all about weird and wacky creatures and freaks of nature.
- Weird and Strange Animals in the World
Our earth is planet of surprises and home of weird and strange animals. These are the unusual animals which are not only strange by their appearance but are also interesting to know.
- 9 Interesting & Unusual Animal Facts
Parrots don’t talk using their tongues as they don’t have a voice box like we do. They have two air sacks at the sides of their necks and chest which they manipulate to mimic the sounds they like. ...
- 25 Most Amazing and Unusual Animals On Earth
I didnt' realize what a substantial project this was going to be when I started. It started at 10, then to 15, 20, and finally settled on 25. I just kept finding more weird and interesting stuff to put into...
For Your Viewing Pleassure: The Top Ten Bizarre Animals