ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Teak Oil Poisonous to Dogs

Updated on August 12, 2015

Teak oil is used for protecting wooden garden furniture.

It is an easy way to protect and spruce up benches and tables, and is a normal part of garden maintenance.

It sounds like a natural safe harmless product to use - we eat oil in cooking, it comes from plants and so on.

Unfortunately it is an extremely dangerous poison.

This is what happened to our dog when we oiled our new garden seat.

This teak oil product could have killed our dog
This teak oil product could have killed our dog

Available from all Garden Stores

Teak oil is easily available from any gardening outlet.

It is stored where you might expect, along with other products for varnishing, polishing, etc.

We all know paints and varnishes can be dangerous - but teak oil? It just treats garden wood - wipe on, wipe off, job done.

The bottle has no warning on the front. It does have a "harmful" sign on the back and some hard to read writing - but nowhere does it say "Warning:This product can kill pets and fish"

A nice oiled bench - is it worth a dog's life?
A nice oiled bench - is it worth a dog's life?

The First Sign of a Problem

A few moments after applying the oil to the bench I noticed my dog exhibiting strange behaviour.

She was walking slowly around the garden, with her tail right up between her legs, looking for a place to be sick. Then she was sick, violently so.

She started shaking, more so than in previous bouts of illness or distress.

My wife and I discussed this and realised it had to be that she had eaten some of the teak oil.

I checked the internet for teak oil and dogs and found very little useful information. But I started digging into details of the ingredients - naphtha being a key poisonous component.

Next time I see an "X" I will pay much closer attention. It doesn't mention pets or fish though.
Next time I see an "X" I will pay much closer attention. It doesn't mention pets or fish though.

Internet Research

The problem with the internet, as I quickly discovered, is that it can take you down a path of complete despair.

Naphtha is a deadly poison. It can destroy stomach and lung tissue. There is no solution, certainly not a "take a pill and rest" type.

This kind of product should be sold with a serious warning. It can be fatal to pets, aquatic life and I guess children - although we weren't researching them. Even adults need to take sensible precautions - gloves, use outside, do not ingest.

Meanwhile my wife was speaking to the vet.

They probably were Googling the same pages. But they did offer some advice.

Drink, monitor and if she fails to recover she'll have to come in for a chest x-ray.

All very disturbing.

Treating our Dog

Dogs are fantastically resilient. They eat bad things, they are sick, they recover.

This man made poison is different though.

First I tried to persuade the dog to drink water. Dilution of the poison is good. That is commonsense.

She drank a little.

Then I used a large syringe to gently force water into her mouth. More water, as much as I could reasonably persuade her to drink.

I put some milk in a bowl - she likes milk - and she drank a little.

Then she was sick again.

She was still trembling, but less violently than at first. A hint of recovery.

More water, more syringe and sick again.

And then the ears started to prick up again, she took interest in her surroundings and we said our own private thanks to someone out there.

This whole period took about two hours - a very long time when you are watching a loved one and wondering.

This is our recovered dog - no more eating teak oil for her.
This is our recovered dog - no more eating teak oil for her. | Source

The Aftermath

I'm not saying our dogs experience would be the same in another dog. It could be worse or better, but it may help someone if they have the same thing happen.

It also might make people very cautious about using teak oil, or any chemical product where pets are around - even in the garden.

My wife took the bottle back to the store and pointed out what had happened, the lack of warning and they have withdrawn it from sale and informed their head office.

This may be a temporary thing or maybe they will not relaunch it until they have improved the warnings for people like us - who just wanted to protect some garden furniture and nearly ended up losing one of our precious ones.

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • NetBlots profile image

      NetBlots 4 years ago from Melbourne

      Gah! Sorry to hear about that :((

    • Easy Advice profile image
      Author

      Easy Advice 4 years ago from UK

      The dog is completely recovered now... thankfully.

    • afriqnet profile image

      Joe Njenga 4 years ago from Nairobi Kenya

      I heard this from a Friend who has a similar case in his clinic . The dog was brought in with a suspected case of Teak oil poisoning. I never bothered to follow up and ask him about the case. I am grateful you shared this info. Thanks

    • Easy Advice profile image
      Author

      Easy Advice 4 years ago from UK

      Thanks for your story Afriqnet - I hope the dog recovered. Teak oil and any of these chemicals should be very clearly labelled with the dangers for humans, children, pets and fish.

    Click to Rate This Article