- Pets and Animals
Secret Garden White Tigers & Friends
Secret Garden Cats, Glorious Cats!
Tiger and Lion Pictures from my last vacation. Here you will see my favorite picture of a Tiger I viewed while in the Secret Garden at the Mirage hotel in Las Vegas. It was around 35C on that day and it was nearing their feeding time, around 7PM to be precise. I think he looks very serene but still alert and somehow he does seem to be waiting for something; perhaps dinner?
White Tiger from Secret Garden Mirage
Sorry this picture is not all that clear and of course the photo was taken through a chain link fence. These cats are gorgeous, and I need to always remind myself when I look at these great creatures is that they are not pets. They look so lovable, it seems as if you would be able to walk up and pet them as if they were your domestic cat... but that is probably not a good idea. If you think your domestic cat is territorial I can imagine how much stronger this instinct would be in one of these beauties.
Color of the White Tiger
White tigers are a color morph of any subspecies of tiger whose fur is white or almost white, though it is not a separate subspecies. This coloration is caused by a recessive gene. Wiki
I do love cats, I think they show so much emotion in their eyes. I've had several domestic cats as pets, I find them very intelligent and compassionate. I look at these cats and I think how much I would love to be the one taking care of them, get to know them better.
but... that may not work out so well since I am an unknowing human and would most likely get myself hurt in my wholehearted endeavors.
Siegfried & Roy's Statement.
"Long ago, Roy and I realized that everything that happens to this planet is man's responsibility. Our responsibility," says Siegfried. "After living and working with some of the world's most magnificent creatures, we have felt the threat of their loss. So we felt compelled to create a safe environment – an environment in which these animals could live in serenity," says Roy.
I commend these two on doing all that they can to preserve these remarkable creatures.
Lions of the Secret Garden
Are Tigers Friendly?
Their beauty is undeniable, with large dark stripes along their fur and their deceiving cuddly appearance. Tigers are by far one of the most beautiful animals in the world. But tigers are also known for their ferocious look. With 30 teeth created primarily for slicing through flesh, females weighing anywhere from 100 to 200 pounds, and males weighing up to 300 pounds, anyone would be scared of a tiger and being in its path. It has been known that in some places Tigers do eat humans and unfortunately once they have a taste for human flesh they do tend to like it very much.
Wildlife filmmakers, conservationists, and National Geographic Explorers-in-Residence Dereck and Beverly Joubert appeared with Matt Lauer on NBC’s Today Show this morning to announce the Big Cats Initiative - a campaign to rally public support and bolster conservation efforts for lions, leopards, and other large feline species in the wild worldwide.
Lions live for ten to fourteen years in the wild, while in captivity they can live longer than twenty years. In the wild, males seldom live longer than ten years. Lions have no natural predators, but they die mostly from humans or other lions. Quoted from Wikipedia.
“All the ecosystems in the world rely on the super-predators,” said Dereck.
Dolphins at the Secret Garden
Note on the Dolphins
These pics had to be included. These dolphins are also kept at the Mirage Secret Garden out back. In my opinion this would be an amazing animal to work with, they are not threatening in any way.
Dolphins are a warm blooded mammal, they give birth to live young and also feed their babies with milk... Much like humans do.
In 2009 a group of researchers concluded that Dolphins are second in intelligence to humans, and suggested that their status be elevated to that of "non-human persons". Wikipedia
All Creatures in the Las Vegas Secret Garden
I did manage to get pics of a few of the other creatures at the Garden as well... though they are not first it does not mean I think less of them. My motto is all of God's creatures are to be loved and taken care of.
Llamas appear to have originated from the central plains of North America about 40 million years ago. They migrated to South America about 3 million years ago. By the end of the last ice age (10,000–12,000 years ago) camelids were extinct in North America. As of 2007, there were over 7 million llamas and alpacas in South America and, due to importation from South America in the late 20th century, there are now over 158,000 llamas and 100,000 alpacas in the US and Canada. From Wikipedia
Large Cat Books
Activities in Las Vegas
Visiting the Secret Garden while in Las Vegas is just one of the things you can do, there are so many different activities to choose from. When we were there our days were booked from early morning to late evening, made us pretty darned tired by the end of our not so restful vacation.
Things we did while in Las Vegas:
- Secret Garden viewing as you are already aware
- Hoover Dam day tour, with a small company, did not go on a large bus tour, don't like crowds too much myself.
- We did go to see "O" by Cirque de Soleil of course, it was fantastic.
- Don't forget to buy drinks at places that offer souvenir mugs you can take back home, at least we thought it was a great memento.
- Go downtown Las Vegas and visit Fremont Street of course, that's a must see, check the schedule to see what is going on while you are there. We missed the Elvis impersonators by one week.
- Scooter Car tour of Red Rock Canyon.
- Great restaurants are everywhere, try out a few you would not normally try. I'm not really keen on authentic Mexican food, it is completely different than what I am used to, but you may like it.
- We did a bit of gambling, but my spouse there has a bad temper if he loses his money and dang it he does not know when to quit, quit while you are ahead, don't get greedy. People like to win and they want to win big and sometimes will not stop when they should. Thankfully that is the only time he tried the slot machines.
- Take a city Limo tour, have a beverage and leave the driving to someone else, the limos in Vegas come in many different shapes and sizes.
- Take a walk through some of the themed hotels you are not staying at, the design of many of these hotels is truly awe inspiring.