- Pets and Animals»
- Reptiles & Amphibians
The "uncommon" Common Snapping Turtles: Chelydra serpentina serpentina
The "uncommon" Common Snapping Turtles
The Common Snapping Turtle and the "uncommon"
North America's most recognizable aquatic Turtle, the Common Snapping Turtle, is found in just about any body of slow moving, soft bottomed water, fresh and brackish, from Nova Scotia to Mexico and east of the Rocky Mountains. The Florida Snapping Turtle rules in Florida.
The "uncommon" Hypos come in Black and White, Silver, Yellow, Cream/White, Orange and Red. Their color begins to show at two inches, by three inches they are “glowing.” The Oranges show up at four inches.
The "uncommon" unique Leucistic Snapping Turtle has pinkish skin with shades of blue and white, with yellow highlights. It's eyes are deep blue and it's shell is very light. Behavior and care are the same as normally colored Snapping Turtles. It is so unique there may only be one of it's kind in existence.
And then there is the "uncommon" Cinnamon common snapping turtle which is not hypo or albino or leucistic. They are very light brown/tan with pink feet and pale blue around the eyes. Their undersides are even lighter. Pictured with a normal here you can see the contrast. These Cinnamon Snappers, the first of their kind ever seen, may be the start of“designer snapper”color morphs. No matter what their genetic mutation is - it will be very interesting to add their genes to albinos or hypos.
And for your amazement, the most "uncommon" common snapping turtle of all, a Two Headed Snapping Turtle...
You have Two Headed Red Ears, and rarely a Two Headed Yellow Belly, but rarer yet are Two Headed Snapping Turtles - and there have never been any with fully separate necks and heads as the one pictured here ------------------->
Whoops, except until now ------------------------------------------>
Common Snapping Turtles (and the "uncommon" varieties of course) will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Juveniles forage for food, but adults are content to ambush their prey, lying in wait for the next meal wandering by. Because of these tendencies all sizes make excellent tank turtles although not suited to a community tank. Juvenile Snapping Turtles will think another turtle's tail is a worm - and will promptly devour them - even tails of other snappers. In the last century, the taste for Common Snapping Turtles has severely damaged many wild populations resulting in many being farm raised, in the US and abroad.
Wild Snapping Turtles are quite vicious but captive raised snappers, if handled often, can tame down substantially (see "Meet Tank" video at end) although they never lose their vicious feeding response.
FINALLY, A THREE HEADED TURTLE
Albino snapping turtles, the ultimate "uncommon" common snapping turtle are very rare indeed! If you really want one you can purchase a baby albino snapping turtle from theturtlesource.com for a measly $5000! Why not get a couple to give for Christmas gifts. They are sure to guarantee a white Christmas for your loved ones!
- Albino snapping turtle hatchling found in swimming pool New Bedford, MA
LAKEVILLE Finding two hatchling snapping turtles in a swimming pool is unusual enough.But environmental police made an even more unlikely discovery when they rescued the young snappers from a Lakeville swimming pool Wednesday: One of them was albino
To purchase or get more information on the "uncommon" Common Snapping Turtles go to...
- The Turtle Source Snapping Turtles
TheTurtleSource has as many species (or more) than any other breeder in the US. With over 400 different varieties of Turtles and Tortoises for sale. They have, by far, the largest selection of turtles and tortoises for sale anywhere,over 30 yrs. exp.
Alligator Snapping Turtle BITES Researcher
These turtles HATE nosey reporters!
More interesting facts:
* Snapping turtle’s are gifted at finding dead bodies! At one time they were used to locate dead bodies in lakes! They just tied a rope to the turtle and released it underwater. When it found a dead body it would stop moving and start to feed on it.
* In 2006 the snapping turtle was voted the state reptile of New York City. It was a sweeping vote of the public elementary school children of New of State.
* A famous American political cartoon in late 1808, one of those first cartoons marking the beginnings of modern political cartooning, portrayed the common snapping turtle depicted in a protest at the Jeffersonian Embargo Act of 1807.
Watch this ---------------------------> now that you've fallen in love with the "uncommon" common snapping turtle,
Although that is not a common snapping turtle, the results could be the same if it was a common (or "uncommon") snapping turtle!
As this next video demonstrates ---> these turtles HATE nosey reporters!
(or is it that they like reporter's noses?)
Just so you know...
- The Difference between Common and Alligator Snapping Turtle
- The Alligator Snapping Turtle: Natural History, Mythology, and Conservation
An impressive, dangerous and celebrated turtle!
- Why The Alligator Snapping Turtle Is A Bad Pet Idea
- Alligator Snapping Turtle is actually three species
You are a fish swimming in a river in Louisiana. Hungry, you spot a worm wiggling out on the river bed. You strike at the meal only for that little worm turn into the gaping jaw of a prehistoric-looking monster.
CRAZY Alligator Snapping Turtle Bite!
pick up a turtle by his tail. You can harm the turtle.
Why do turtles cross the road?
In spring and early summer, snapping turtles cross roads looking for nesting spots. Sometimes their nesting spots can be separated from their water home by roads and turtles will travel up to 1/2 mile from water to find the right spot.
Did you know that the female common snapping turtle doesn’t starting egg laying until they reach an age of 5 to 7 years old and a minimum shell length of ten inches? An average adult’s carapace (upper shell) is eight to fourteen inches long and an adult can weigh between ten to thirty five pounds.
Here is one guy who doesn't care about harming a turtle...
or himself for that matter! Of course if the KY Turtleman plans on eating those snappers I guess he doesn't care how he picks them up.
a Snapping Turtle
Here is how to clean ,,,,
- Cut around the the bottom shell edges cutting through the top and bottom shell joint on each side.
- Lift out the bottom shell like a can's lid nd then remove the entrails.
- Cut the legs and neck off the inside of the top shell.
- Skin the legs and neck. Make the meat tender by parboiling or pressure cooking before putting into your favorite stew.
A delicious meal in the shell.
One of the best!
A Turtle Recipe:
Cube the meat from one medium-sized turtle
1 chopped large onion,
2-3 chopped cloves garlic,
4-5 cubed potatoes,
2 14.5 oz. cans of peeled tomatoes or 8-10 coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes,
1 11 oz. can of corn.
- Put a little cooking oil in a hot skillet and brown turtle meat, onions and garlic , (use real hot skillet and drop pieces of meat into the hot oil.) Drain oil when the meat is browned all over and transfer meat, garlic and onions to a Dutch oven. Add tomatoes, potatoes, and corn.
- Seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and garlic. Just cover ingredients with water, cover and cook for 45 minutes at a high simmer (until you have thoroughly cooked the potatoes).
- Now the stew is ready. However, if you prefer you can thicken the sauce with a whole wheat flour/water mixture and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes more.
Snapping Turtle Braised in White Wine, Rosemary and Thyme
Some believe there are 7 different types of turtle meat. Not! There is white meat and there is dark meat, and the tastes are unique. Some say the taste is a combination of alligator and pork, some also say it's like chicken but turtle is turtle, and it is what it is. You have to try it to know it. Click on the pic source for the recipe.
Never underestimate a snapper
These guys seem to know just how intimidating they are!
Anyone for some rough sex? Snapping turtle kiss = a bite!
Every year in spring, hordes of mother turtles make their way out of the ponds and watersheds looking for warm, moist areas on slopes to build egg nests.While the males stay behind in the water, the females find a place and dig nests that resemble large, double anthills that they place the eggs in about 10 inches underground. Biltmore CC Golf Maintenance: Snapping Turtle Hatch
To ward off predators such as foxes and raccoons that feast on the eggs, the mothers will build decoy nests to confuse them.
Amazing: A snapping turtle was caught in a piece of plastic while young - and grew around it.
Bravo for these Veterinarians!
Meet TANK (Any other snapping turtle will give a new meaning to "finger food")
Better you than me.
- Scientist gives mouth-to-mouth resuscitation (VIDEO).
"As my lips slowly moved toward the mouth of the turtle in my lap, I admit to momentarily wondering how my life’s choices had brought me to this point as a research fellow with the Alabama Natural Heritage Program at Auburn University."
Standard wisdom is that pets are great things for any office, raising employee morale and providing a mascot for team-building purposes. The worst office pet is
More Tank, what a turtle!
More litle known facts about other turtle species!
- The North American Wood Turtle: Glyptemys insculpta
Of all the species of turtles "Old Red Legs" could be the most intelligent. Read about this beautiful and endangered species of turtle while looking at the best collection of pictures around!
- "Paw, why do the little box turtles try to cross the road? Can we help them?"
Why conventional wisdom about these unique little box turtles can be just wrong! We need more wildlife "experts" that really want to deal with the problem rather than telling politicians what they want to hear.
For some great laughs...
- Hilarious stuff I found on the web that will just make you laugh! (Lots of videos, takes time to loa
Yeah there are lots of hubs and websites that claim they have the funniest stuff but just aren't that funny - experience this hub page and then tell me you weren't entertained to the max!
...Was for You to Watch This Tortoise Eat a Strawberry
Alan Rickman’s Dying Wish..
By watching this, you have donated to Save the Children and Refugee Council. YouTube gives advertising revenue to whoever uploads a video. The more views on the video, the more money we receive. We will pass all that money on to charities (LINKS BELOW). Share this video to make an impact. With thanks to Alan Rickman. 'Harry Potter' Star Alan Rickman Dies at 69
* NOTE (3 headed turtle)
* NOTE: *April Fools? Sorry, there are no 3 headed (or 4 headed ) turtles in the world - but the idea is fun to imagine as an April fools spoof : )