The first days with your dog
Keep the house safe , that no dangerous objects or toxic product is within range.
To the puppy becomes aware of his new surroundings (space and people) must be him around and serve him quickly the limits imposed. This notion of territorial limit is the first step towards obedience and listening to the teacher.
Do not show it to all friends and neighbors on the first day. He must, instead, to know who is from family. This will allow him to know who to listen to. Also the puppy is sometimes stressed to have left his "native family" and it is difficult and tiring for him to see a parade at home upon arrival.
Here are some tips to follow the days following the arrival of the puppy:
- Allow the puppy, at least the first few nights, sleeping in the master bedroom as it may cry or bark due to the sudden removal of all members of his family group. The puppy will sleep all night and be more successful in retaining urine and feces until the next morning (however, if it is isolated from the group, he frequently wakes up, will agitate and make their needs each time).
- To encourage the evacuation of urine and stool outside, walking the puppy several times a day (after each meal, every nap or night, a game ...) and reward each elimination successful. It is best not to use newspapers (if not a double learning would take place and the puppy could continue to defecate inside the house as an adult, even if newspapers are not present).
- Leave the puppy in town , even if the vaccination program is not yet complete. It is advised to avoid areas frequented by a large number of dogs to reduce the risk of disease transmission.
- Visit at least twice a week a very noisy place and frequented by many people as a market, the train station, the city center on a Saturday afternoon.
- Encourage the puppy to approach other dogs (large or small, male or female) and interact with them. Thus, they hone their communication and social rituals.
- Encourage contact between the puppy and human beings (children, men, women, elderly).