Safe Vegetarian Recipes for Cats & Dogs
Share vegetable meals with your furry friends! This article begins my series of vegetarian recipes for cats and dogs.
Is Veggie Food Healthful for Cats & Dogs?
Vegetables are healthy and natural for cats and dogs. For example, kitties who live in the wild eat plenty of grasses and other plant foods in addition to mice. Higher-quality cat food includes ingredients such as avocado and blueberries to support kitties' health.
Cats need meat. Cats require at least 25% meat (unless significant precautions are taken) and may need crucial dietary supplements if their regular meat intake is significantly reduced. Physiologically, dogs can eat entirely vegetarian diets.
Certain fruits and vegetables are dangerous to pets. For example, cats and dogs shouldn't eat onions. The recipes I'm sharing are safe for pets who don't have unusual health issues.
Quick Ways to Add Veggie Food to a Pet Bowl
1. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top of your pet's regular food. Adding a tablespoon or two to each meal can help prevent flea infestations.
What is nutritional yeast? This inactive yeast is a yellow powder that tastes slightly cheesy or nutty. It's a complete protein and a natural source of Vitamin B12. Many vegans and vegetarians add it to popcorn, eggs, tofu scrambles, pesto and other foods. Nutritional yeast is available in bulk bins at natural food stores.
2. Use raw garlic in DOG food only. Garlic isn't safe for kitties but it's great for dogs. It can help keep worms away and inhibit tumor growth.
You can simply add raw minced garlic or garlic juice to regular dog food. Only use a teaspoon or so, and use less for small dogs.
I'll have a recipe for veterinarian-approved garlic dog biscuits in an upcoming blog.
3. Add wheatgrass to meals. You can buy wheatgrass seeds for a few dollars and sprout them within days. You'll get vegetation that pulls all kinds of nutrients from the soil.
Cats like to nibble on wheatgrass straight from the flower pot. If your dogs don't go for it, just add some to their regular pet food.
Recipe Books You Might Like
Recipe #1: Veggie Blend for Puppies
This recipe for vegetarian dog food involves two main steps. First you mix the ingredients in a blender. Then you warm the mixture in a pot.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 diced celery stalks
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 tsp wheat germ (get it from a bulk bin)
- 2 tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1 tsp natural sweetener (sorghum or date sugar)
Blend the water, carrots and zucchini at medium speed for about a minute. Then add the other ingredients and blend for one minute more. Transfer the mixture to a pot and make it warm.
Add a few tablespoons of cooked oats if desired. Older puppies can get a higher ratio of oats.
Recommended Cat Links
- Cat-Approved Gifts for Cat Lovers
From communist cat posters to the best cat comb, this article provides plenty of gift ideas for cat lovers. If you're extra motivated, watch the tutorial about how to build a cat tree.
- Art for Cat People: Louis Wain's Life & Creations
See beautiful art by Louis Wain. Some reflects symptoms of schizophrenia.