ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Pets and Animals»
  • Dogs & Dog Breeds»
  • Dog Health

Warning - Ten Foods That Are Poisonous To Your Dog.

Updated on November 7, 2014
Watching out for any cats trespassing on her garden.
Watching out for any cats trespassing on her garden.

Take Care

As dog lovers we all like to spoil our pets every now and then, who cannot help but like giving your best friend a treat when they have behaved well or performed a neat trick that you have taught them? But what if you are causing them more harm than good? Read on to find some foods that are harmful to your dog and can even kill.

Onions

Onions are found in many food sources including commercial baby foods, sauces , pizza, curries etc. When consumed by dogs, onions can cause gastrointestinal irritation which can in turn lead to red blood cell damage, although more harmful to cats, onion can cause problems for dogs if consumed in a large enough amount.

Anti Freeze or Coolant

Okay not technically a food but antifreeze is a poison that is commonly found around the home and there are many cases of dog poisoning caused by this product every year. Dogs love the taste of antifreeze ( coolant ), the ethylene glycol it contains tastes sweet to them but unfortunately only 3 ounces consumed is sufficient to poison a medium sized dog, and it effects the brain, liver and kidneys.

Grapes and Raisins

Vets do not yet understand what the toxic substance is that is contained in these fruits that is harmful to dogs, what is know is that they can cause serious kidney failure, raisins especially are a serious threat and one to beware.

Chocolate

Dark chocolate is more of a problem than milk chocolate. Chocolate contains a stimulant similar to caffeine called theobromine which can cause vomitting, diarrhoea and seizures.Symptoms would normally show after 2 - 4 hours depending on the amount of chocolate ( theobromine ) eaten.

Apples, Cherries, Peaches and Pears

Surprisingly all these fruits as well as many others can poison your pet. The seeds of these fruits contain cyanogenic glycosides which when ingested in large amounts can lead to cyanide poisoning.

" Let me in i am cold "
" Let me in i am cold "

Nuts

Due to the high phosphorous content contained in them , nuts can lead to bladder stones. Macadamia nuts are particularly harmful to dogs, weakness or even paralysis of the hind quarters, muscle tremors, pain are just some of the symptoms of macadamia poisoning.

Milk

It is best to avoid giving milk or indeed any dairy produce to dogs. Dairy products are unlikely to cause your pet any lasting harm but may cause them severe diarrhea and vomiting. Dogs stomachs do not cope with dairy products very well due to not being able to process the lactose they contain and they may have a reaction to dairy similar or more severe as experienced by a lactose intolerant human.

Source

Bones

Although raw bones such as beef knuckle bones can be safe and an aid to keeping your dogs teeth healthy by removing plaque, beware bad bones such as turkey, chicken leg or pork chop as they can easily splinter and get lodged in your pets throat or stomach.

Artificial Sweeteners

Many diet foods, diabetic sweets and cakes and sugar free gum contain xylitol. This artificial sweetener can have a devastating effect on your dog, it causes a release of insulin which can lead to potentially fatal hypoglycaemia ( a lowering of sugar levels ). Even small amounts can cause serious harm.

Left Over Foods

Giving your dog food scraps can be fine as long as you know what the scraps contain and that the food is fresh. Spoiled or moldy foods can cause problems with dogs similar to humans so don't allow your dog to raid your dustbin or pick up food off the street.

Other Dangerous Foods

  1. Liver (do not feed to a dog taking vitamin A it could cause an overdose ).
  2. Corn on the cob ( Intestinal obstructions )
  3. Yeast Dough ( Intestinal blockage / bloating )
  4. Nutmeg ( hallucinogenic )
  5. Caffeine ( a stimulant causing vomiting and diarrhea )

Keep Safe

I know that the vast majority of dog owners are responsible people but if your pet should accidentally digest any of these items especially in any large amount seek professional help immediately. Dogs are hardy creatures and i have had dogs that have stolen and eaten whole boxes of chocolates and eaten a complete slipper and come to no harm, but, it is always better to be safe than sorry when your beloved pet is concerned.

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Bk42author profile image

      Brenda Thornlow 3 years ago from New York

      Very informative! Thank you for posting this!

    • Geekdom profile image

      Geekdom 3 years ago

      Great things to bring to people's attention. I remember when I first found out about onions, I was shocked. I did not know about apples, peaches and pears.

    • nuffsaidstan profile image
      Author

      nuffsaidstan 3 years ago

      Hi Folks thanks for the comments, yes some of these foods are surprisingly harmful.

    • Alphadogg16 profile image

      Kevin W 3 years ago from Texas

      This is a very interesting and informative hub nuffsaidstan. I think the anti-freeze and bones are common knowledge with most pet owners, but some of the other foods I had no idea they could have an adverse reaction on my dogs. Thumbs up on your hub.

    • Nell Rose profile image

      Nell Rose 3 years ago from England

      This is great, and something every dog owner should read. Its so easy to just pass down a bit of food from the dinner table without giving a thought to whether its dangerous or not, so great work on this one, and voted up all the way!