What is killing us and our honey bees?
Have you ever sat and wondered what really happened to those Extinct societies? The Anasazi of Arizona, Gaunches of the Canary Islands, the Tasmanians, the Arawak of Hispaniola and the list goes on and on. History will tell you that it was war, or natural disasters such as tsunamis that caused the demise of entire societies. Here today , gone tomorrow. But what if it's not that cut and dry? What if extinction can happen slower than we think and right under our very noses? Ignorance can kill, so it's time to get educated about what is really going on around us.
Life is an ecosystem. You are able to witness this first hand in streams and pounds and in our oceans. Albert Einstein was once quoted as making the statement ” If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years.” Would it surprise you if I told you that 90% of the feral (wild) bee population in the United States has already died out?
News reports and television shows like 20/20 and 60 minutes are always asking the infamous question; What is killing off our honey bee's? Then they will take up an hour of your time, beating around the bush and feeding you full of theories that most of the population can't even understand. At the end of the programing the question still remains; what is killing off our honey bee's? The answer in my opinion is crystal clear and not a much different answer than what is slowly killing off the human population as well.
Most of the population eating the "SAD" or Standard American diet is not concerned with the daily consumption of nutrients and pesticides in their food. Figures show that only 50% of the population is eating at least five servings of fruits and vegetables four days per week. So when your nutrition is coming from a box or a can, it's hard to figure out what all the commotion surrounding pesticides in agriculture is all about. The problem is that the pesticide issue has grown to become a lot more complex than most people realize.
There are eight top pharmaceutical companies holding the top eight spots on the stock market. But did you know that those same top eight big farma companies are also the top agricultural and pesticide companies?
1. The Dow Chemical Company also sells Brodbeck seed among others and is known for AMBERCHROM™ CG which is a diabetes management drug.
2. Du Pont Chemicals also deals in alfalfa, corn, canola and cotton seeds as well as compounds & solutions, crop Protection, nutrition & health products.
3. Monsanto is a GMO seed provider as well as a agricultural chemical business and a pharmaceuticals and nutrition business.
4. Imperial Chemical Industries is a agriculture, chemical Industries, and ltd Pharmaceuticals for anesthesia and respiratory systems.
5. Novartis combined its agricultural division with that of AstraZeneca to create, Syngenta, in November 2000. It then began selling agricultural chemicals as well as Pharmaceuticals, Over-the-Counter meds and Vaccines.
6. Rhone Poulenc has a chemicals division an agricultural division and is also a pharmaceutical company.
7. Bayer is Agricultural Seed , Fungicides, Herbicides and every pharmaceutical know to man from A-Z for human and animal health.
8. Hoechst is a German chemicals company which also does pharmaceuticals and is best known for Trihydrate,Hoechst 33342 nucleic acid stain which is a popular cell-permeant nuclear counterstain that emits blue fluorescence when bound to dsDNA. Not surprisingly they are also involved in agriculture.
Don't you find it a bit odd that the same people who are supplying your food, are also supplying the pesticides and your medication? Think about that for a moment, because it's very close to a game called monopoly. The company first provides the genetically modified seeds. GMO crops need tons of pesticides to fend off weeds and insects in order to survive and thrive, more so than organic seeds. The same exact company then provides the chemical pesticides needed to kill off the weeds and insects.
The problem with pesticides is that it they are very hazardous to a person's health. Pesticides are absorbed thru the root of the plant and it becomes impossible to completely rinse the residue off fruits and vegetables. The pesticides you eat are then stored in your colon, where they slowly poison the body. When you eat non-organic fruits and vegetables, you are eating over 30 different pesticides that have been sprayed on that crop. Pesticides have been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's Disease, ADHD, birth defects and do potential harm to the nervous system. Even though pesticides are sprayed on crops, they can also make their way into a water source, such as nearby rivers, ocean, and ponds. The wildlife suffers when the waters become contaminated with the chemicals and fish and other animals get sick and die. This begins to throw the whole ecosystem off balance.
I find it rather convenient that the same company that sells the food that your eating is also the same company that is making you ill with their pesticides. They are also the same ones coming to your rescue when you need medication because, you became ill eating their product filled with their toxins. I would call that a monopoly or perhaps even a conspiracy, but what does that have to do with our honey bees?
Well, the primary product used to control grubs on your lawn, or insects on trees, or termites in basements, contains a chemical compound known as imidacloprid, a synthetic nicotine, which is most commonly marketed as Merit. Imidacloprid is highly toxic to bees, yet the Bayer company, which has been the exclusive patent holder since1988 , denies that its product is causing any problems to smokers or honey bees. But if you where Bayer would you admit any wrong doing if you were making money from seeds, crops, pesticides and pharmaceuticals?
I decided to write this article after having spoken to a friendly bee keeper at my local farmers market. I was informed by him that more than half of Americans are not even aware that there is a honey bee crisis. The sad thing is, that if we continue to turn a blinds eye to what is going on, if we continue to buy non-organic produce instead of supporting our local organic farmers or we continue to go through life without educating ourselves about nutrition, pesticides and big pharma, we might end up like the honey bee's and will have proven Albert Einstein right.