Why Having A Chihuahua is Good For You
I CURRENTLY have five Chihuahuas (“Chis/Chi”). All are about going to be a year old in just a few months. Two of them are longhaired Chis and the rest are shorthaired. One male and the rest are females.
At first my plan was just to get a pet dog. Just a dog! Any breed would do. But after considering space and care requirements, I opted to get a Chihuahua.
We all know that the Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog in the world. As a small breed, it requires less space. But just because the Chihuahua is a small dog does not mean it requires less care.
After several months of taking care of Chihuahuas, here are some of the reasons why having one is good for you.
1. Because Chihuahuas are small breed of dogs they can fit in small living spaces making it an excellent pet for those who live in apartments and condos.
2. Chihuahua keeps the stress away.
What I first notice about a Chihuahua is really not its size but its very expressive eyes. A Chihuahua’s eyes seem to stare and shed tears. It somehow conveys lots of emotion.
Every time I get home, my Chihuahuas are all jumping around as if practically begging me to pick them up. As I look at their excitement in seeing me my stress suddenly disappears. My Chihuahuas after a long day at work gives me that welcoming feeling as I get home.
Chis also provide instant entertainment. With their very comical ways, these dogs can easily put a smile on their owner’s faces.
3. A Chihuahua is a very good watchdog. I think I have to emphasize on the word “watch”. Because of its size, a Chihuahua cannot qualify as a guard dog. However, what I noticed is that the Chihuahua is very observant. It listens attentively. With its radar dish ears, the Chihuahua can detect the slightest noise.
I have observed my Chihuahuas to be alert and investigative. If they hear a disturbance they would naturally direct their attention to its source. They would then start barking warning me of a possible intrusion.
4. A Chihuahua is a very good travel buddy. Because of its small size, a Chihuahua can fit comfortably in most dog travel accessories. It can be transported easily.
5. A Chihuahua is very protective of its owner. Before getting a Chi, I tried to gather as much information about the breed. I gathered that Chis are very loyal to one person. I noticed indeed that my Chis bond with me as if they are my friend and protector. And if someone comes near me, my Chis would put up a protective stance.
6. A Chihuahua, special the shorthaired breed, has less grooming requirements. This means that tidying expenses is on the minimum. For those on a tight budget but desires to have a pet dog, a Chihuahua is a good choice.
7. The Chihuahua is a healthy breed. In my several months of caring for my Chihuahuas I have not yet encountered a health problem. Well, I hope my Chis remain healthy.
Based on my experience, these are some of the reasons why a Chihuahua is good for you. But of course, a Chihuahua is not for everybody. With its size it is not recommended for families with children. A Chihuahua can easily fell victim to rough handling by kids.
Give your Chis the best care you can and they will love you unconditionally no matter what.