Why Can't Dogs Eat Chocolate?
What Is So Bad About Chocolate?
Chocolate is severely toxic to dogs because it contains theobromine, a stimulant that affects the nervous system and heart muscle, and increases the frequency of urination.
Dogs can't metabolize theobromine as effectively as humans. This allows it to build up in their system until it reaches toxic levels of concentration. This may lead to a variety of health problems, including death due to cardiac arrest.
The less the dog weighs, the more you should be worried because the toxicity levels are higher.
More Dangerous Toxins
Here is a list of other foods that can be highly toxic to dogs:
- Sugarless candies
- Raw salmon
- Onion (large quantities)
- Garlic (large quantities)
- Mistletoe berries (we normally don't pay any attention to these during the holidays, but our pets do!)
Of course, there are the normal things to beware of in your household as well, such as anti-freeze, rat poisons, paint thinners, cleaning fluids, and so forth. So if you have a pet in your home, take the same precautions you would if you had a small child.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.