Why Should You Hire a Dog Trainer?
Getting a dog is a big decision for a family. A puppy comes along with a lot of additional responsibility. There is a lot of information available online which can help us make an informed decision but the same is not the case when it comes to training the pup.
Training the dog requires lots of time and patience. Sometimes we need a little extra help in managing our dog's behavior. Hiring a dog trainer is a major decision that we make for our dog. Dog training is expensive but it’s an investment which is worth it because it reflects in the dog’s good and disciplined behavior. The benefits of hiring a dog trainer can far outweigh the monetary cost.That’s why it’s important to hire a trainer for the dog and get him trained.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.— Josh Billings
Why is it important to train the dog?
Many people keep dogs as pets but very few of them actually get their dogs properly trained. It’s important to start training the puppy as early as possible. Dog training is important not only for the dog but also very beneficial for the dog owner as a trained dog makes life quite easier for the owner. Training the dog is important for two specific reasons:
- To tackle behavioral issues
- To teach the dog how to obey.
'Behavioral Training' aims at correcting the bad habits that the dog may develop. Some of these bad habits are- chasing the cars or vehicles, jumping on the bed or sofa, chewing, growling and nipping etc. If you do not plan to let your pup to sit on the bed or sofa when it’s full grown then do not allow it from the beginning. Do not be lenient. This will not create any confusion for the dog and he will come to know of his boundaries. Dog trainers are well aware of the natural dog behavior and they know how to deal with the dog’s natural behavioral problems.
'Obedience Training' aims at training the puppy to obey certain useful commands such as sit, come, go, heel etc. It’s important that one should never use punishment or negative reinforcements for the dog. This will create unhappiness and fear in the puppy. Instead one should motivate the dog by using appreciation, positive comments, patting the dog or some food reward for every obeyed order. T
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.— Roger Caras
Why Should You Hire a Dog Trainer?
Teaching a dog to obey orders can be quite frustrating as you may have to repeat the orders several times and sometimes for several days before the dog starts to comply. Getting annoyed and losing patience will be of no use because then the dog will relate training to unhappiness. That’s why one needs to hire services of a professional dog trainer to ensure proper training which the dog enjoys.
Here are 3 reasons why you should consider hiring a trainer:
- Certified dog trainers know how to interpret dog language. Often times there is a communication problem between the owners and their pets. A professional trainer can help to bridge this communication gap.
- A professional trainer can help you by thinking critically and analyzing your dog's behavior and by providing a creative solution on how to change it.
- With the busy schedules, most people don’t have time to train the dog. A professional trainer can train the dog for you. They can come to your home when it’s convenient for you.
Do's and Don'ts for hiring a Dog Trainer
Finding a good dog trainer is in not an easy task. One should not rely on newspaper advertisements or business cards lying at the side table of the vet’s reception hall as they may result in disappointment.Here are some points to remember while hiring a dog trainer:
- Before hiring a dog trainer, check his credentials to make sure that he is professionally certified.
- Beware of someone who doesn't explain their training philosophy
- Don't look for guaranteed results. Instead look for a trainer who guarantees satisfaction with their service.
- Have a thorough talk with the dog trainer to understand their knowledge, professionalism and way of guidance. .
- It is better to request for a trial session with your dog to see how the trainer deals with the dog and his method of training.
Dog trainers are qualified to train the dog and so leave the training part of your dog to them. They are certified and have lots of experience in dealing with all kinds of dogs. Their experience of working with the dogs can’t be substituted by the amateur owners who are trying to train the dog on the basis of some tutorials seen on YouTube.
Formal Dog Training Schools: What should you expect?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Shaloo Walia