The Adorable Shih Tzu - Care Facts And Health Issues
Some Interesting Facts About The Shih Tzu
- According to the UK Kennel Club the life span of a Shih Tzu is 13 years. Most live between 10 to 16 years.
- This breed originated in China. (Some experts state that Tibet is where the breed is from.)
- The first dogs were brought to the United States after World War II. The military, upon returning home from Europe, brought these dogs along in the mid 1950s.
- In 1930 Shih Tzus were nicknamed the Chrysanthmum Dog in England.
- The Chinese named the Shih Tzu which means "lion dog." This kind of dog was bred specifically to resemble the lion.
- This dog is more closely related to the wolf than any other dog.
- The correct pronunciation for Shih Tzu is "Sheet Zoo."
- When fully grown their weight is between 9 and 16 pounds.
- Because a collapsed trachea can affect this breed never use a collar and a leash. Use a harness and leash.
China - Shih Tzu Origination
Rescuing A Fur Angel From A Puppy Mill
A puppy mill is no place for a dog. Rescuing an adorable baby Shih Tzu is my story of how I came face-to-face with the deplorable conditions these puppies live in.
Shih Tzu Health Issues
If you want a dog that stops traffic, is cuddly and cute and doesn't shed, a Shih Tzu is for you. This lovable "lion dog" will entertain you until he wears himself out. A Shih Tzu is friendly to a fault which is a good thing because people are quite taken with their built-in charm.
Most Shih Tzus have several health issues such as:
- Respiratory problems due to to the shape of their face and head.
- Hip Displaysia in standard sizes.
- Epileptic seizures. My Clancey had these. I kept prescribed vials of medicine on hand. When they became more frequent I carried a vial with me when I took him for his walks.
- Ear infections. The ears must be cleaned often.
- Intervertebral Disk Disease causes back pain, loss of coordination, and the inability to feel deep pain. This disease is also found in other breeds such as the French Bulldog, Welsh Corgi, Lhasa Apso, American Cocker Spanie, Dachshund, Bassett Hound and the Pekingese.
- Hypothyroidism. This occurs when the thyroid gland stops producing a hormone which is responsible for proper metabolism. It affects middle age dogs and there is medicine available at your local vet.
With The Big Fire Hydrant In The Sky
A Poem of Love and Humor - To My Dog
Will you be my valentine and never let me go?
Keep your body next to mine
You know I love you so.
We will catch a falling star, and play upon the moon,
Hearts uniting into one
Please come to me and soon
See my eyes so filled with need that only you can fill?
Hear the voice that speaks so small
“I love you and always will?”
Rainbows intertwining as misty notes surround
A melody of purest form
To you, my love I’m bound
Shih Tzu Having a Bath
I see you in the glistening of snowflakes making snow,
I feel you midst the sun’s warmth and by the fires glow
How long I’ve waited valentine, I long to have you near
I’ll fill your life with music of songs you long to hear
The smell of you doth linger to bring me oh such bliss
I shed a tear of loves release a wet and wild kiss
Oh valentine there are no words, I'm rambling and I'm ranting
And what is with your breath tonight?
And what's with all that panting?
Thank you for the memories and joy you've given me
I'll always love you Clancey, through all eternity.
All The Information You'll Need To Care For Your Shih Tzu
© 2011 Audrey Hunt