- Pets and Animals»
- Animal Care & Safety
World’s Most Poisonous Animal – Poisonous Dart Frog – and Jellyfish the Most Poisonous Creature
Venomous and Poisonous Animals
What is the difference between venomous and poisonous animals? Venomous animals are animals that inject venom into their prey when hunting or as a defence. Poisonous animals are animals that are harmful when consumed or when touched - the poison is distributed over a large part of the body of the animal. A venomous animal has a special organ for producing venom but the rest of the body may be safe for your meal.
The world’s most venomous animal is the Box Jellyfish. Box Jellyfish’s venom is so deadly and painful that once injected with the venom you will long for “kill me quickly”. The venom will attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cells. And soon you will go in shock, drown in the water or die of cardiac arrest before reaching the doctor for any medical attention. The Box Jellyfish is also known as Sea wasp, Marine stinger or Chironex fleckeri. A single jellyfish has enough venom to kill 50 strong men at a go.
The Box Jellyfish is to be found in coastal waters of Australia and Asia. The jelly fish has virtually transparent tentacles which can be as long as 3m and each tentacle is covered with thousands of nematocysts which on contact with your body will release microscopic darts. With four eye-clusters which have twenty-four eyes, a box jellyfish is capable of spotting swimmers without many problems – the tentacles will stretches out after their nematocysts are activated by pressure and protein-chemical trigger. As a preventive measure, swimmers are encouraged to wear panty hose while swimming, and if stung, vinegar should be applied to the affected areas of the body for a minimum of one minute – vinegar (acetic acid) will disables the jellyfish’s nematocysts that have not yet discharged into your bloodstream.
A Cool Meal to Turtles
But the world’s most venomous animal, the Box Jellyfish, is a cool meal to turtles. Turtles are immune to box jellyfish’s stings.
Poison Dart Frog
On the other hand, the world’s most poisonous animal is the Poison Dart Frog, also known as Poison Arrow Frog. This poison dart frog is to be found in Amazon rainforest in countries of South America. Poison dart frogs usually exhibit brightly-coloured bodies. Usually all poisonous animals will tend to advertise their toxicity with bright colours so that would-be predators can benefit by avoiding potential harm. Nature and or God can sometimes be very kind to you by offering colours to guide your instincts. For example: mammals with colour green may not be fit as food for humans.
The golden poison dart frog has enough venom to kill 10 strong men at a go, or better still, 15,000 rats. An adult poison dart frog may have a length of 2 to 6 cm and may weigh as little as 2 to 6 grams. They lay eggs on plants and allow young ones (tadpoles) to climb on their backs shortly after they hatch. The young ones are then taken to water and may be feed even on unfertilized eggs. The golden poison dart frog does not generate their poisons, but depends on protein-chemicals obtained from their foods such as ants, beetles, centipedes and mites. Golden poison dart frogs that are captive-bred by scientists do not have the poison.
A Cool Meal to Amazon Ground Snake
But the world’s most poisonous animal, the poison dart frog, is a cool meal to Amazon ground snake. The Amazon ground snake is immune to poison dart frog’s poison.
Some Good information on San Hunter-Gatherers
San Hunter-Gatherers of Kalahari
Like the Golden poison dart frogs, the San hunter-gatherers of Kalahari, southern Africa, know it all. They have always used larvae and pupae of diamphidia beetle to poison their arrows. The poisoned arrows are used for hunting. The hunted animal may take hours after it has been shot by the arrow. The dead animal makes a good meal for the San people. Now you may ask what are the ingredients of the poison and why is it the poison does not kill the people when the eat meat from the dead animal? That poison from the diamphidia is a high concentration of protein-chemicals that kill the animal by extensive hemolysis and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity. Yes, they are hunter-gatherers at this age but they seem to know much chemistry than you and I.