Weird, Funny, and Amazing Animal Facts
I Take Requests
If you're looking for funny facts about a particular animal that isn't already listed, leave me a comment and I'll do my best to find some fascinating info!
- If you spray an antiseptic spray on a polar bear, its fur will turn purple.
- All polar bears are left handed.
- A polar bear's fur is clear. It reflects the light, making it appear white.
- A pig's orgasm can last up to 30 minutes.
- Pigs are the only animal that will drink hard liquor voluntarily.
- A pig can run a 7 minute mile.
- Ever wonder what do pigs eat? Pigs are omnivores and eat both meat and plants!
- Over a person's lifetime, they'll eat 8 spiders in their sleep.
- Scorpions can be killed by pouring vinegar over them.
- You are 3 times more likely to be killed by a flying champagne cork than by a bit from a venomous spider.
- Cat urine glows under a black light.
- Some lions mate over 50 times a day
- Cat's jaws cannot move sideways.
- Jaguars are frightened by dogs.
- A 30 feet fall can be survived by most cats.
- In ancient Egypt, killing a cat was a crime punishable by death.
- A giraffe can clean it's ears with its 21 inch tongue.
- In Atlanta, GA, it is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
- One quarter of all the creatures on the planet are beetles.
- An ant always falls over to the right when intoxicated.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- A cockroach is the only animal that could possibly withstand a nuclear war.
- An ant can survive up to 2 days underwater.
- A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.
- Crocodiles swallow stones to help them dive deeper.
- Koalas have fingerprints that are almost identical to ours.
- Koalas are excellent swimmers.
- Despite popular belief, koalas aren't cuddly. Males can be very aggressive and territorial.
- Lobsters have features similar to cockroaches.
- Lobsters have pale blue blood.
- It takes a lobster approximately seven years to grow to be one pound.
- In Alaska, it is illegal to look at a moose from the window of an aircraft. This is to discourage moose poachers.
- Moose have terrible vision, so much so that they'll mate with small vehicles.
- It is possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs.
- Cows can smell scents that are up to six miles away.
- Bulls are not attracted to the color red.
- A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in it's lifetime.
- The turkey was wrongly named after its believed country of origin.
- A woodpecker can peck 20 times per second.
- In Minnesota, it is illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head.
- Hummingbirds are the only bird that can fly backwards.
- Turkeys can reproduce without having sex. It's called parthenogenesis.
- An ostriches eyes are bigger than its brain.
- Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.
- In Milwaukee, residents must keep pet elephants on a leash while walking them on public streets.
- The elephant's memory is legendary, in fact, they have a special ceremony for the return of a long lost member of the herd.
- Besides humans, dolphins are the only other animal who have sex for pleasure.
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
- Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
- The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand which weighs about as much as a dime
- Starfish haven't got brains.
- Eels have two hearts.
- If you leave a goldfish in a dark room for years, it will turn white.
- A goldfish has the memory span of 3 - 5
- A jellyfish is 95% water.
- Most marine fish can survive in a tank of human blood.
- The word "Penguin" means "fat winged" one in Portuguese.
- Penguins have one mate for life. They "sing" to each other to learn their and recognize each others' voices.
- Male Adelie penguins often bring females a gift of a stone to show they would make a good partner.
- The biggest shark is the whale shark, which can grow up to 50 feet.
- Sharks have all the senses we have, (smell, taste, touch, sight, and hearing). They can also sense electricity and vibrations in the water.
- Sharks have no bones, their skeleton is made up of cartilage.