With our only pet being a cat, it is pretty much the same as what I would do for a small toddler. Keep cabinets closed that contain dangerous materials, and certainly keep things that can fall off away from the edges of tables, counters and such. If you use pesticides for any reason, make sure the product is placed in an area that your pet can not access. Also, we burn a lot of candles. Candles left unattended can become quite a danger with animals running around.
Also, safety would involve screens on windows, door and such. Holes in the fences or under the fences.