Heather L McCrea profile image 61

Are antibiotics typically prescribed after an amputation surgery? 3-year old chocolate lab.

Within 24 hours of discharge from the Vet Hospital the small wound my labrador's groin area (not near his stitches) that the vet student pointed out to me had grown in size to a half-dollar and the smell was wretched. I had not let him lick his wound and he was wearing a cone. I took him in to the emergency service & now he is in ICU with a damaged liver, stomach ulcers, rotting flesh, bacterial infection & he is septic. Why no antibiotic for him at discharge? Is it routine or common to have an antibiotic? At 2-days post-op only pain meds & anti-inflammatory.

Tripawds says

• Heather L McCrea profile image

Heather L McCrea 4 years ago

It is very sad. The doctor now says they have done everything they can and it is up to him. He has a feeding tube now, has endured a second surgery, is on iv antibiotics. Poor dog & he is only 3 years old. I am trying to focus on getting him heal

libby1970 profile image83

libby1970 says

• Heather L McCrea profile image

Heather L McCrea 4 years ago

Yeah, do not understand either. He is still in critical care. He has had a second operation to remove decaying muscle in the amputation zone. He now is receiving 3 different antibiotics intravenously. His culture shows clostridium bacteria.