Critical Thinker1 profile image 63

Do you put boots on your dog during the winter?

I have a small cock-a-poo and in snow his paw hair freezes up and the rock salt on sidewalks irritates his paws, but I'm not convinced dog booties is the answer. I haven't found any that make him seem less uncomfortable. Do you have similar problems with your dog in the winter? Do you use dog boots? Or do you have a better solution to this problem. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.

agilitymach profile image99

Kristin Kaldahl (agilitymach) says

• Critical Thinker1 profile image

Dalia Grad (Critical Thinker1) 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips! My dog is easily trainable (balls and attention work better than treats) and the clicker has worked before. I'll try going back to puppy training techniques and dig up the clicker. Hopefully that will help!

Faith A Mullen profile image86

Faith A Mullen says

• Critical Thinker1 profile image

I'm a bit relieved that someone else shovels a spot in the yard for their dog. Mine also jumps right into the snow bank anyway. Rock salt is more irritating; dogs limps when they steps on it. So far short walks and indoor play is best. Thanks!

Grinning Gremlin profile image87

Grinning Gremlin says

BraidedZero profile image94

James Robertson (BraidedZero) says

• Critical Thinker1 profile image

Thanks for your response. My dog is definitely not meant for snow! I agree with about the frostbite, I also don't want to risk it. For now, instead of booties just take my dog out for short walks in the cold; he doesn't get far with booties.

twig22bend profile image77

twig22bend says

• Critical Thinker1 profile image

I didn't think about him ingesting the salt! Yikes. Boots seem like the way to go. Thanks!

Critical Thinker1 profile image63

Dalia Grad (Critical Thinker1) says

• Grinning Gremlin profile image

Grinning Gremlin 4 years ago

Yes! This does indeed work. We tried an expensive jar of something-or-other for our dog's paws, which worked like a dream.

then we realized that the stuff in the jar was essentially petroleum jelly. So Vaseline would work fine.