Chuck profile image 93

Do you consider your pet a member of the family or a luxury item?

According to recent news reports, the Mexican government is planning to place a 16% sales tax on processed pet foods effective January 1, 2014. This is a lucrative item to tax as Mexicans spend $2.2 Billion per year on pet food. Most jurisdictions don't tax food but the Mexican government is claiming that pet food doesn't count as a food item as pets are a luxury item and not a part of the family. Mexican pet owners are, of course, upset with the tax and also don't consider their beloved pets to be a luxury item.

wychic profile image92

Rebecca Mikulin (wychic) says

DrMark1961 profile image100

Dr Mark (DrMark1961) says

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 3 years ago

Excellent, Dr. Mark. I used to make our own food for my dogs when I first got them. One of them refused to eat dog food. So I learned to make it homemade. It was definitely cheaper, and I enjoyed making it for them.

Tom Vogler profile image83

Tom Vogler says

CraftytotheCore profile image85

CraftytotheCore says

Shona Venter profile image80

Shona Venter says