Kristen Howe profile image 87

How to retrain my cat to use litter box again?

This marking problem have gotten out of hand and out of the litter box for the past couple of months. I've used pee pads and a carpet runner for the past couple of months to get him to get where it's safe. Though it's been a bit much. I've taken my senior male cat twice to the vet to rule out any medical issues, which brought us back to behavior and marking, since the previous owner of my new apartment had a cat here. The smell is from the closets and should've been removed when I moved last fall---too late now. He tends to do this in the mornings/overnight. Any ideas?

catspyjamas profile image88

Best Answer catspyjamas says

• Kristen Howe profile image

Kristen Howe 2 years ago

Hi Catspy, I do have a steam cleaner but the shampoo/rinse option doesn't work anymore. It only comes out with water. I would hae to look into unscented litter in the future from World's Best. The food dishes stayed in the same place, while I moved

Kristen Howe profile image87

Kristen Howe says

• Kristen Howe profile image

Kristen Howe 2 years ago

Hi Lady Guinevere. He's not peeing on wood. He's peeing on the carpeted floor. I'm not allowed to paint anywhere in my apartment either. I've changed my litter twice and most recently use World's Best for the past two months. They've had no problem w

ii3rittles profile image83

ii3rittles says

Lady Guinevere profile image60

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

• Kristen Howe profile image

Kristen Howe 2 years ago

Okay. I would have to get permission from the landlady to remove the carpet and repaint the wood with the help from maintenance. I never heard of that paint. Any other ideas?