Victoria Lynn profile image 88

How do you housebreak an older dog?

I adopted a stray from a shelter. She's about a year old. I take her out regularly to pee and poop. I give her treats and praise her when she pees and poops, which is regular on our walks. In the yard, she will usually pee after a bit, but she gets away to poop in the house. She was doing great with peeing outside, then tonight I took her out, encouraging her to pee because she was restless and running around. She didn't go after 3-4 minutes, so I brought her back in. She soon went to the hallway and peed there. Why? I know I need to catch her in the act, but she is so quick. What do I do?

heidithorne profile image94

Best Answer Heidi Thorne (heidithorne) says

• Victoria Lynn profile image

Victoria Lynn 2 years ago

Thanks, Heidi. I've had Sissy for two months. She's getting used to the "Go pee" command outside (somewhat) but still pees in the house! I have only seen her poop outside once (except for walks). Contacting Adrienne is a great idea. :-)

mary615 profile image95

Mary Hyatt (mary615) says

• Victoria Lynn profile image

Victoria Lynn 2 years ago

Yes, Mary. Much patience! I take her out usually on the leash morning and night. She goes regularly in the a.m. but not always at night. She can hold it all night! I do praise and treat, so surely she will soon catch on! and stop going in the house.

drpennypincher profile image96

Dr Penny Pincher (drpennypincher) says

• Victoria Lynn profile image

Victoria Lynn 2 years ago

That sounds like a good idea with the tethering. I need to catch her in the act so I can redirect her outside. She 's usually fine all night unless I sleep in too late!. Mostly daytime is the problem. Thanks for the tips. I'll try it!