vikkijov profile image 60

How long do you keep your horse in a stall for?

I have a mini-horse and towards the late afternoon, she gets anxious to go in her stall. I open the gate and let her go on her own into the stall. She will actually run full speed as if that is where she would rather be. When I bring her in because of bad weather earlier during the day, she walks very slowly and not in a rush at all. What is the right amount of time she should be in the stall?. My normal practice now is I bring her out at 8:00 a.m. and bring her back in at dusk. It appears that she is unhappy with the length of time (10 hours) she is in the yard and not in the pen.

Terrielynn1 profile image86

Terrie Lynn (Terrielynn1) says

• vikkijov profile image

vikkijov 3 months ago

Terrie - thank you for your answer. I have a three sided house for her but she never goes in it. When she was younger it didn't matter how long she stayed outside but I see her changing and yawning! HA, so I'm giving her a mid-day break in her pen.

PurvisBobbi44 profile image90

PurvisBobbi44 says

• vikkijov profile image

vikkijov 3 months ago

I actually tried your suggestion today and it was much better. Dani didn't make a run for it but instead walked alongside me. I guess she needs a rest like you suggested. Dani is so much fun and I enjoy her so much. Thank you for your help.