Ericdierker profile image 79

Have you ever had blood sucking leeches attach to you?

My son just asked me and I said "of course". It made him kind of look at me sideways. Then I realized that most folks have never been places and got in the water where leeches hang out. Verde river in Arizona and a canal just off the Saigon river come to mind.

LoisRyan13903 profile image74

LoisRyan13903 says

4 weeks ago
  • Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 4 weeks ago

Oh my friend, good to here from you. For sure the IRS is a subspecies of Macrobdella D├ęcora or the North American Leech they not only suck your blood they are extremely painful. Most are found in the DC area called the swamp.Alcohol is best remedy.

Terrielynn1 profile image86

Terrie Lynn (Terrielynn1) says

4 weeks ago
  • Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 4 weeks ago

Thanks for that, the little buggers can handle a winter of cold and their offspring come out tough as nails. Their history in healing is amazing. Terrie we are doing great here, it is a time of year for togetherness before craziness, Happy

The0NatureBoy profile image81

Elijah A Alexander Jr (The0NatureBoy) says

4 weeks ago
  • Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 4 weeks ago

Elijah, it is interesting to note, I believe you hail from DC. Leech capital of North America. Yes I mean before 1800 as the swamp. Or do I mean after? ;-)

4 weeks ago
  • Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 4 weeks ago

Manatita - I believe that maggots are fascinating. They debride and secret a substance that helps fight infection. Very cool. Medically I believe the leech saliva is actually produced into hypertension medicine and blood thiners